What is the best IEM for airplane travel?
Mar 24, 2007 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

jdwarsh

New Head-Fier
I am tired of cabin noise. On occasion I also wish to listen to my iPod or watch a DVD on my laptop. If I had to prioritize the objectives, they would be (1) noise abatement, (2) comfort, and (3) sound quality. I can rationalize a reasonable investment to accomplish these goals, since arriving fresh and being productive in transit helps put the bread on the table. But like most folks I have more appetite than funds, so I have no wish to spend without appreciable benefit - - ‘best’ being the worst enemy of ‘good enough.’ In any case, I can’t really see any reason to go above $500 for this. While I would purchase IEMs for travel, once owing them I would certainly use them elsewhere, so benefits in other circumstances can’t be ignored. Would custom molds offer value in either comfort or isolation? Do higher performance IEMs make any appreciable listening difference in the airplane environment? Should some frequencies be emphasized for better sound on planes? Any thoughts or recommendations, please!

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 37
IMHO, Etymotic ER4-S + a portable amp of your choice that will much depend on your preferences as to sonic signature. Ray Samuels' portable amps, Xin Supermicro/mini/macro or Jan Meier's Porta Corda would all make up a good match. I use the Etys daily and don't think they're uncomfortable, but they requiere a certain "learning curve" to get used to them. I have tried a lot of IEMs and closed phones and have never had better isolation than with the Etys.

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 37
another vote for ER4...however get the 'P' version with an impedance cable or an amp that has an impedance switch.

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 37
Thanks for the recommendation. I'd prefer to find a solution without the added amps, even though small, since thats just one more thing to juggle and jam into my bag and get through security.

Any thoughts on custom molds for isolation or comfort? Does sound quality of the IEMs matter much on a plane?

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by papermasterarumi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are etymotics really that comfortable though? take a look at the UM2's by westone, they seem to be comfortable by many and offer alot of isolation

I just got my ER-4S last week. They're the first IEMs I've ever used. The tri-flange tips pre-installed on them fit like a charm, so I haven't even bothered to try the other silicone or foam tips. For me, I would say that there is just some mild pressure that can be felt in the ear canals, but the seal and isolation are so good that I cannot hear someone screaming at me from two feet away. Their lips move, but I can't hear what they're saying
etysmile.gif
. So, if these are considered to be "uncomfortable" IEMs, I suppose I don't feel I need them to be any more comfortable. When you consider how far these things slide into your head, it's amazing they can be tolerated at all, really.

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 37
to be honest i would use a very bass heavy iem for plane travel as the engine noise makes the bass on virtually anything not audible.

this is why i think the absolute sound reviewer prefered the bose quiet comfort to stax in ears.

id reccomend either the sures or ultimate ears.

the other thing to keep in mind is that this is coming from someone who hates too much bass. i think high fidelity on a plane and on the ground is quite different.

just my 2c

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 37
I tried the Bose QCIIs and was underwhelmed by their isolation - - my 99 cent foam plugs from my woodshop did way, way, better. So then I figured why not add sound to them, and voila I'm now looking hard at IEMs. . .

Do the Shures and UEs have stronger bass? I've read that the UEs are a bit less comfortable. The general opinion of UM2s seems to be that they are both comfortable and have strong bass.

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #9 of 37
I've used Etymotic ER4-P's with tri-flanges on long haul flights (13 hours). It has good isolation properties (it manages to block out the noises from a screaming baby in the row behind), but doesn't effectively block out the low frequency drone. It does a good job of attenuating it, but it is still present (but I would say that my ears adjust for it after a while). I found that increasing the volume helps, but the volume is higher than what I usually use (but not overly uncomfortable with). You certainly notice the noise attenuation that the ER4-P's generate when you remove them.

I have no comfort problems with tri-flanges and can happily have them in my ears for 12+ hours, although some people find them uncomfortable.

Sound quality-wise, the ER4-P's are very nice (plenty of reviews on them on the forum). I've had no issues with the bass-shy nature and think they are adequate on the bass department. I only notice the difference when switching to other 'phones (Grado SR325i, RS-1, Sennheiser HD-25). I've no experience of other IEMs so can't comment on them. The movie watching experience is considerably enhanced compared with the cheap black plastic headphones that are issued on the flights (or at least the ones issued on the BA flights).

It's a bit of a nuisance when the flight stewards/stewardesses come over and you have to remove your IEMs to listen to them though.

Mar 25, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 37
I vote for the Westone UM2.
Provides great isolation and wearing comfort, and has pretty good sound quality.

Mar 25, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsana123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a bit of a nuisance when the flight stewards/stewardesses come over and you have to remove your IEMs to listen to them though.

The Shure Push-To-Hear unit works particularly well for this purpose.

Mar 25, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 37
Customs are going to be the best option for comfort, isolation, and SQ. But they are not cheap. $600 is really the entry fee for customs.

I would highly recommnd the UM2 and a shure fit kit, which is about $330 or so.

IMHO, forget any recommendation that needs an amp. Like you said, just one more thing to potentially slow you down at a security checkpoint (and I am not saying that it will always slow you down). Plus just more crap to take on a plane and setup in your limited amount of space.

The Shure e500 is also nice, and it comes with the PTH device which is great on a plane. Of course, the PTH device is also something that could slow you down in security and adds bulk . .

Also agree you do not want anything shy on bass for use on a plane. As someone else said, the environment of a plane really makes bass a challenge. If you have a bass light IEM to start with, you will have no low end at all in flight.

Honestly, the UM2 or forthcoming UM3 (although this is just a guess as to what it will sound and feel like) is the best choice. Very small, super comfy for a universal, great sound, does not need an amp to sound great, great cord, etc.

You could buy a PTH for like $50-70 if you want one.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdwarsh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am tired of cabin noise. On occasion I also wish to listen to my iPod or watch a DVD on my laptop. If I had to prioritize the objectives, they would be (1) noise abatement, (2) comfort, and (3) sound quality. I can rationalize a reasonable investment to accomplish these goals, since arriving fresh and being productive in transit helps put the bread on the table. But like most folks I have more appetite than funds, so I have no wish to spend without appreciable benefit - - ‘best’ being the worst enemy of ‘good enough.’ In any case, I can’t really see any reason to go above $500 for this. While I would purchase IEMs for travel, once owing them I would certainly use them elsewhere, so benefits in other circumstances can’t be ignored. Would custom molds offer value in either comfort or isolation? Do higher performance IEMs make any appreciable listening difference in the airplane environment? Should some frequencies be emphasized for better sound on planes? Any thoughts or recommendations, please!

I fly about once every three weeks and the ER4S is unrivaled for isolation.

Triple Flange man... all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back