What is the best Headphone that doesn't need an amplifier?
Apr 20, 2021 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Outbreaker

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade my HD58X.:L3000:

I bought the HD6XX but the Subbase was not present on it as it was on the HD58X. But they sounded clearer, which i liked. But the leak of base was a deal breaker for me.
Not sure if that leak of base is related to the difference between 150 Ohm and 300 Ohm, but i could find similar reports for the HD6XX from other users on the internet.

And because all of those headphone reviews out there are reviewed with a amp. Makes it almost impossble to know what the best are without an amp.. :triportsad:

EDIT:
The price range i'm looking is around 0€-400€ performance ratio is the most important thing for me.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 50
just buy an amp and thank us later
you may think it's a waste of money but the truth is if you invest in it you will have access to headphones that cost less and perform better and after a couple purchases a $100 amp will pay for itself as far as sound quality especially if you get a combo dac/amp
you have to realize to make noise headphones need power especially bass, and your computer simply cannot put thru enough power, even the 58X sounds better amped, looking above that price range you will literally pay more money for something that will sound worse that cheaper options if you limit yourself to those that don't need an amp and in the end they will sound better amped. It's about much more than just volume!
I used to think both were a waste and I couldn't be more wrong.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 50
No i don't want an amp. I want to use my Headphones on all devices and on the go. All this amp fetishism is really frustrating. :smile:
A good headphone will sound great on all devices. Like the "KOSS Porta Pro" back in the 90s, and it still owns most of the new Headphones out there. Oh man i loved that headphone when i was a kid. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 50
No i don't want an amp. I want to use my Headphones on all devices and on the go. All this amp fetishism is really frustrating. :smile:
A good headphone will sound great on all devices. Like the "KOSS Porta Pro" back in the 90s, and it still owns most the new Headphones out there. Oh man i love that headphone when i was a kid. :smile_phones:
that is utter nonsense the koss porta pros have 35 mm drivers and a sensitivity of 101db. literally just buy a $50 portable amp they are like a few oz and that is the only answer I can even give, you are making excuses that don't make sense and clearly want things your way which the reality of the world doesn't align with... you bought 6XX which are a stone throw from the 58X when you could have gotten a used Cayin C5 or Fiio E12 which can be had both under $100 and have bass boost which fixes your bass problem as well and enough power to run any headphone you choose... anyway you can keep looking for your ferrari that doesn't run on gas and maybe someone will point you to something that sounds 80-90% as good unamped and is not a terrible buy for the money vs literally dozens of other better options in the same price range but I won't be here to hear it as I turned my notifications completely off about the same as you have turned any notion that amping is worth it off and refuse to listing instead insultingly calling it a "fetish" on the one forum where 99%+ people diasgree with you. Confusing, anyways....

good luck, toodles.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 50
Some of the focals

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 50
The Philips Fidelio X3 is pretty sensitive with strong bass from an open-back design.

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 50
that is utter nonsense the koss porta pros have 35 mm drivers and a sensitivity of 101db. literally just buy a $50 portable amp they are like a few oz and that is the only answer I can even give, you are making excuses that don't make sense and clearly want things your way which the reality of the world doesn't align with... you bought 6XX which are a stone throw from the 58X when you could have gotten a used Cayin C5 or Fiio E12 which can be had both under $100 and have bass boost which fixes your bass problem as well and enough power to run any headphone you choose... anyway you can keep looking for your ferrari that doesn't run on gas and maybe someone will point you to something that sounds 80-90% as good unamped and is not a terrible buy for the money vs literally dozens of other better options in the same price range but I won't be here to hear it as I turned my notifications completely off about the same as you have turned any notion that amping is worth it off and refuse to listing instead insultingly calling it a "fetish" on the one forum where 99%+ people diasgree with you. Confusing, anyways....

good luck, toodles.
There are easy to drive Headphones and there are harder to drive Headphones.
I'm simply looking for the best headphone that i can plugin into any Jack plug directly without any gadgets.

Sennheiser HD599 is really good on my mobile without an amp.
I had an Sennheiser HD598SR and the HD58X was a good upgrade not sure if the HD599 would be an upgrade for the HD58X.

The Philips Fidelio X3 is pretty sensitive with strong bass from an open-back design.
I also had the Philips Fidelio X2 but it sounded to muffled. Will this be the same on the Philips Fidelio X3?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 50
There are easy to drive Headphones and there are harder to drive Headphones.
I'm simply looking for the best headphone that i can plugin into any Jack plug directly without any gadgets.

I had an Sennheiser HD598SR and the HD58X was a good upgrade not sure if the HD599 would be an upgrade for the HD58X.

I also had the Philips Fidelio X2 but it sounded to muffled. Will this be the same on the Philips Fidelio X3?
I don't have either on hand to compare, sorry. I can recommend the Grado Hemp for use on any device, without hesitation as well.

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 50
Grado's do not need amped.

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #11 of 50
A good headphone will sound great on all devices. Like the "KOSS Porta Pro" back in the 90s, and it still owns most the new Headphones out there. Oh man i love that headphone when i was a kid. :smile_phones:
WP900 sounds good out of most things (not unlike Porta Pro, too), but you should also invest in an amp and/or decent dap. Running any kind of headphone with more than 38 ohms on a phone isn't going to do those headphones justice.

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #12 of 50
You can use any headphones that isn’t Electrostat like Stax , and out of any devices.

The problem is that you will be stuck in buying and circling different DAPs, where as if you get an amplifier, whether you use a dedicated line out from a DAP or a phone out, the performances is substantially improved, let’s just say the fidelity of textures and dynamic slams for example. Ofcourse with a dedicated line out DAP, there are more to gain.

However, in this hobby with full-size headphones, the most important guy is the amplifier. Unless you are into earbuds with some of them causing hisses. You will not even care much about DAP anymore if you get a good amplifier. It will be another way around as said. Anyways, the journey is fun, not the result! Good luck on your journey , and have fun

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #13 of 50
Hifiman He400se 2020 or Takstar HF580 (this need bigger cushions but its worth it). Easy to drive planar magnetic HP sound very good without proper AMP. Better than cheap Sennheisers.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #14 of 50
WP900 sounds good out of most things (not unlike Porta Pro, too), but you should also invest in an amp and/or decent dap. Running any kind of headphone with more than 38 ohms on a phone isn't going to do those headphones justice.
It most certainly does. It's definitely my 'desert island' set of cans.

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #15 of 50
I don't have either on hand to compare, sorry. I can recommend the Grado Hemp for use on any device, without hesitation as well.
Grado's do not need amped.
The Grado Hemp cost a bit too much for me. Is the Grado SR80e also an upgrade form a HD58X?

It most certainly does. It's definitely my 'desert island' set of cans.
€600 is a little to much for me. But if it's really the holy grail then i probably would take them. But I'm too scared to put €600 into a headphone if i'm not sure it's then best all around i could get.

Hifiman He400se 2020 or Takstar HF580 (this need bigger cushions but its worth it). Easy to drive planar magnetic HP sound very good without proper AMP. Better than cheap Sennheisers.
I had the HiFiMAN Sundara and noticed that it had a lot of potential, but it sounded bad on my PC/Laptop/Phone because i noticed that it couldn't get the power it needed to shine from those devices.
A long time ago i had a HyperX Cloud which was a modified Takstar they where very good HeadPhones and where easy to drive. It would be nice to have a good easy to drive planar magnetic headphone. I will defiantly checkout the Takstar HF580 i diden't know the even made planar magnetic headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back