What is the best headphone of this category preferably under $80?
May 29, 2010 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

meaculpa

New Head-Fier
I am looking for headphones that are
-comfortable (hours of continued listening)
-portable (traveler)
-sound isolating(as a frequent flyer, but I'll be on planes a lot of the time and I don't want too much leakage)
-on ear/over ear (I already have a $3 decent in ear set, not joking)

Preferably the price will be under $80 and at least under $100. I cannot afford anything above that right now. And they should at least be px100 quality. I bought those half a year ago for only $25 and they broke, so I died a little inside. And I'm not going to pay 3 times its price for a set of inferior quality.

May 29, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 4
akg k81 dj phones are good for ~$60 on-line, on-ear. Can't say they are the best, but I enjoy them. There's lots of chatter about these on Head-Fi, much of it positive. Decent passive isolation, although depending on where you sit on the plane you may find them to be a little lacking, which IMHO is true for all passive cans. Be sure to do the simple mod which involves pulling out the pad over the 'ducer. The isolation comes at the expense of pressure on the ears, though, so long listening sessions might be a problem.
try this link for some interesting reviews:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-35-portable-headphones-compared-panasonic-rp-htx7-philips-shp5400-added-05-02-10

May 29, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 4
Are you sure they have to be on ear? Hifiman RE0 is the best phone you can by for $80 right now. But it is an IEM if you don't mind. It will isolate better than almost any over the ear headphone and is quite comfortable (at least for my ears).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back