What is the best headphone for me?
Feb 2, 2013 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

theneedledrop

New Head-Fier
I'm just starting out as a Head-Fier and was wondering what headphones would suit me. Here's the lowdown:

My listening devices:

I will mainly be flipping between my iPod Touch 5th Generation and my computer, I have steady music collections on both.

My preferred style of music:

My favourite genres are post-rock, indie rock (lo-fi mainly), shoegaze, all forms of electronica (dubstep, IDM, house etc.), hip hop, jazz and ambient. I am always discovering new genres and styles, so my music taste is always expanding. Electronic is hands down my most played and loved genre.

My preferred audio quality:

FLAC on computer and ALAC / MP3 on my iPod Touch.

Budget:

I have around $400 to spend, but I don't want to spend too much.

Portability:

I don't care about portability, these will be home listening headphones.

Amps/DACs:

I don't really want to bother with an amp, but if it is necessary, I will buy one.

Thanks!

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 2
Today I listen to classical music almost exclusively but in the 80s I was a huge fan of groups like Cabaret Voltaire.

I just googled and found that pic :)

I wonder if my much loved AKG K550s would be suitable for you?

They are great for classical but I haven't a clue if they have what is required for electronica.

They will work very nicely from the ordinary output from an iPod or iPhone or what-have-you.

Sound quality with them will improve even further with alternative high quality amplification, but that is something to explore if you wish at some other time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back