What is the best headphone amp for Benchmark DAC1?
Nov 13, 2004 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

d1no

New Head-Fier
May I have the honor to have some suggestions of all you Head-fi members
biggrin.gif

I recently bought a Benchmark DAC1 and use my computer for the source. Now i'm considering buy the headphone amplifier and headphone best match for DAC1.
#What I listen:
(1) mostly newage music, like secret garden, pacific moon series, etc. 50%
(2) also quite a lot pop, rock, metal. 35%
(3) just some classical 15%
#What sound I prefer:
although I have never listened grado headphones, I consider myself prefer "Grado" sound than the "Sennheiser" sound. Well I have once listened Senn HD650(stock cable) with my DAC1(the original HPA2 headphone jack, which said to be the PIMETA level), and I found the Senn HD650 sound a little bit dull. So i think the exciting grado sound may fit me better. But since I have no good amp, I also think the Senn 650 sound may change alot when using top level amp.
#What amps I'm considering to buy:
Price is not a very big problem, as long as the price is inside USD900, but any excellent performance/cost one is also welcome. The idea is that the amp best match DAC1(maybe nonsense though). Basically consider to buy a solid-state one, but good suggestion for tube type are OK.
(1)Ray Samuels HR-2 (sound quality wise)
(2)Meier Audio Corda HA-2 (sound quality wise)
(3)Ray Samuels SR-71 (price wise)
(4)Gilmore Lite new ver. (price wise)
I really want some info about the HR-2 vs. Gilmore Lite vs. DAC1 HPA2.
#What headphones I'm considering to buy:
(1)Senn HD650: although not quite satisfied now.
(2)Alessandro MS2: probably very good for pop&rock, but is it really comparable to the Senn when it comes to Newage and classical?
How about HR-2 + Senn HD650 and Gilmore Lite + MS2, to what degree is the defference between the two combos?

Eager to see your suggestions, so PLEASE...
smily_headphones1.gif

d1no.

Nov 13, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 21
I haven't heard many amps with the Benchmark Dac1, but my PPA was definately better than the built in amp, and the dynahi was for sure better than the ppa. I thought the Dynahi was a good match with the Benchmark, because both have low colouration and sound very natural, detailed, and transparent.

Nov 13, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 21
i don't like the coloration and high end roll-off of the ad797 op amps in the hr-2. you should consider a meier amp (i had great experience with the prehead) or a gilmore lite (no op amp used), of course you can always put new op amps into the hr-2...also think about getting a zu mobius aftermarket cable with the hd 650s, it really opens up the sound of the headphones.

Nov 13, 2004 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
I haven't heard many amps with the Benchmark Dac1, but my PPA was definately better than the built in amp, and the dynahi was for sure better than the ppa. I thought the Dynahi was a good match with the Benchmark, because both have low colouration and sound very natural, detailed, and transparent.

Thanks for the suggestion. But to my knowledge, the Dynahi is a DIY one and turn out to be quite expensive even only for the parts.
BTW, how about the WhiteNoiseAudio DIY amp? It seems to be cheaper and also has greate sound quality, well, maybe not that excellent as the Dynahi.

Nov 13, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberian
i don't like the coloration and high end roll-off of the ad797 op amps in the hr-2. you should consider a meier amp (i had great experience with the prehead) or a gilmore lite (no op amp used), of course you can always put new op amps into the hr-2...also think about getting a zu mobius aftermarket cable with the hd 650s, it really opens up the sound of the headphones.

I'm a little confused. The SR-71 said to be very transparent, so it's not quite possible that the HR-2 introduces much coloration, IMO. Do you mean that although HR-2 is SR-71's big brother, they have totally defferent sound signatures?

Nov 13, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #6 of 21
i don't think they use the same op amps (very important part of an amp) so the 2 amps should sound quite different...ap797 is not transparent IMO, it has a weird warm sound that's enjoyable to a good number of head-fiers around but at the cost of hiding details and introduce roll-off at both ends.

Nov 13, 2004 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 21
If you still have the HD650, before you get rid of it you could try using it as I do, with XLR plugs on the end, to hook up to the DAC1's XLR outputs for balanced drive, this greatly helps the bass, detail, and soundstage of the 650's and makes them sound less veiled or dull.

As far as an amp goes, it seems like the Gilmore Dynahi is an idea match, as it is fast and transparent to match the DAC1, but also powerful enough to drive any headphones with authority. I know sft is building them, I don't know of anyone else building them for sale right now.

Nov 13, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberian
i don't think they use the same op amps (very important part of an amp) so the 2 amps should sound quite different...ap797 is not transparent IMO, it has a weird warm sound that's enjoyable to a good number of head-fiers around but at the cost of hiding details and introduce roll-off at both ends.

Thank you. I didn't know that. I must consider it I think.

Nov 13, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
If you still have the HD650, before you get rid of it you could try using it as I do, with XLR plugs on the end, to hook up to the DAC1's XLR outputs for balanced drive, this greatly helps the bass, detail, and soundstage of the 650's and makes them sound less veiled or dull.

So that means the amp must has a balanced input, right? If so, all the 4 above are out.
Is there any XLR input capable amps available in a acceptable price range?

Nov 13, 2004 at 7:34 AM Post #10 of 21
I think that ID means is to slice off the plug of the 650s, then terminate each side with an XLR male, then plug then directly into the Benchmark. That way you wouldn't need to purchase another amp.

Nov 13, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
I think that ID means is to slice off the plug of the 650s, then terminate each side with an XLR male, then plug then directly into the Benchmark. That way you wouldn't need to purchase another amp.

Oh, I got you. Thanks. So some DIY effort is needed.
BTW, how is the sound quality when using the "direct XLR" compared to the
amp? Better than Dynahi? Better than Gilmore Lite(probably)?

Nov 13, 2004 at 7:48 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by d1no

my dynahi and xlr headphile senn cable should be around soon, give me a pm later on...

Nov 13, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

I doubt it would be better than a Dynahi (at least a balanced one for sure), though it is better than any non-balanced-output headamp I've heard for the HD650's. I.E. I think you'd need to spend BIG bucks to get better sound out of a DAC1/HD650 rig (like adding a balanced Dynahi, Gilmore Reference, or Blockhead).

Nov 13, 2004 at 8:58 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I doubt it would be better than a Dynahi (at least a balanced one for sure), though it is better than any non-balanced-output headamp I've heard for the HD650's. I.E. I think you'd need to spend BIG bucks to get better sound out of a DAC1/HD650 rig (like adding a balanced Dynahi, Gilmore Reference, or Blockhead).

Thanks for the advice.
Are there any specially made balanced-output cables for Senn HD650 currently on sale? Or must I ask someone to build it for me?

Nov 13, 2004 at 9:11 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Thanks for the advice.
Are there any specially made balanced-output cables for Senn HD650 currently on sale? Or must I ask someone to build it for me?

You could have most of the custom cable-builders like Headphile, Zu, Moon Audio, etc, make you a balanced cable. The key is to get it with FEMALE XLR's, if you want to use it with the DAC1, because they would typically sell it with male XLR's for balanced headphone amps. Or you could just mod the stock cable as I have, or get a friend to do it for you. It will be very cheap ($10) and give you an idea of whether the 650's are ultimately for you or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back