What is the best DAC for this combo?
Sep 3, 2009 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

niCe99

Head-Fier
I currently have a Denon AH-D2000 hooked to a Head-Direct EF1.

My source is the computer via a Auzentech Prelude.

What is the best DAC for this combo?

a few questions as well.

A DAC will override anything from the sound card correct? meaning my sound card will be useless in regards to music quality?

A DAC can be connected via my soundcard by which output?

The connection of the setup would be like this...

Source (SOUND CARD) --> DAC --> AMP --> Headphone

right?

thanks.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 14
what is your budget?
yes a dac will bypass your soundcard
a dac can be connected to your soundcard via spdif
and a sound card is (dac and amp) so i would just rather go usb input--->dac

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 14
the Pico DAC/Amp sounds good with the D2000, so the DAC will prob sound good with the D2000.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 14
a usb dac connects your usb, it has nothing to do with your internal sound card, you can sell your prelude if you're going w/ an external usb dac

it'd help if you gave a budget, but i can safely and happily recommend the pico dac, i really love mine

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 14
budget is 200-500. If there is something that cost a bit more but is significantly better, please by all means recommend it!

i simply want the best quality and would potentially not look into upgrading in the future.

I just got my EF1 so i am sticking with that

any suggestions?

Also a side question about the EF1 since people are here. I am assuming it is called the "OPAMP", the thing sticking out from the top where you can remove it and possibly replace it.

My question (2 actually) is
(1) How do you properly put it in? when i placed it in, there is music coming out but the opamp is loose. In other words, you can easily take it out without force.

and

(2) Is there a better OPAMP for the EF1 and D2000 combo out there when compared to stock (i am guessing the stock is "OPA275")

thanks

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 14
How about the Audio Sector USB DAC? About $380.

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 14
Double Post

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by niCe99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
budget is 200-500. If there is something that cost a bit more but is significantly better, please by all means recommend it!

i simply want the best quality and would potentially not look into upgrading in the future.

I just got my EF1 so i am sticking with that

any suggestions?

Also a side question about the EF1 since people are here. I am assuming it is called the "OPAMP", the thing sticking out from the top where you can remove it and possibly replace it.

I don't own an EF1, however, I believe the only thing sticking out is the tube. Is that what you are referring to?

My question (2 actually) is
(1) How do you properly put it in? when i placed it in, there is music coming out but the opamp is loose. In other words, you can easily take it out without force.

If you are referring to the tube, just check the pins and make sure they match up with the socket and gently rock it in place until it is seated flush with the socket. To remove it just rock and pull it gently out

and

(2) Is there a better OPAMP for the EF1 and D2000 combo out there when compared to stock (i am guessing the stock is "OPA275")

The tube used is a 12AU7. The EF1 does have an OPA275 opamp.

thanks

Hope I read your questions correctly in reference to the tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back