What is the best DAC for around 2K (used or new) ?
Sep 20, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #16 of 25
Well, I would say the AMR-777 (used pricing), but you need DSD.  

Actually, you don't ....excellent software conversion to PCM decoded by a top flight R2R DAC will sound outstanding.  Actually,  would argue it will sound better than many 'Native' DSD dacs.  

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 25
  Well, I would say the AMR-777 (used pricing), but you need DSD.  

Actually, you don't ....excellent software conversion to PCM decoded by a top flight R2R DAC will sound outstanding.  Actually,  would argue it will sound better than many 'Native' DSD dacs.  

Great!!

I just through my budget out the window and purchased a Lapizator Atlantic it is R2R and ,my transport won't send DSD (only by SOP) no idea what that is but if you are right its moot....  

Of the 250 albums I own maybe 10% are DSD and I have most of them in 24/192 

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #18 of 25
  Great!!

I just through my budget out the window and purchased a Lapizator Atlantic it is R2R and ,my transport won't send DSD (only by SOP) no idea what that is but if you are right its moot....  

Of the 250 albums I own maybe 10% are DSD and I have most of them in 24/192 

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you did just fine :)  A+++++

The Lampi Atlantic I believe also has their venerated native DSD engine, too... so if you ever do get a transport that can pass DSD, you are MORE than set.  I would argue you would be getting as good of DSD playback as your money could buy, even. 

Sep 20, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #19 of 25

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you did just fine :)  A+++++

The Lampi Atlantic I believe also has their venerated native DSD engine, too... so if you ever do get a transport that can pass DSD, you are MORE than set.  I would argue you would be getting as good of DSD playback as your money could buy, even. 

Thanks !!!

I originally set out to spend 2 Maybe 3 K
But after reading all the hype over the new Atlantic and r2r, I just said What

Last high end DAC I purchased was 9 years ago.  If I can get 9 years more out of this, I'll be happy.  My only concern was MQA and that seems more structured for streaming (which I don't do).  

Are there any transports that can pass DSD?

My understanding is I'd  need a computer for playback, which I am looking into. If you know of something easier, please post a link.

Sep 20, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #20 of 25
My current transport does DSD DOP

I have no idea what that means or how it will work with the Atlantic 
confused.gif

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #22 of 25
  I have just purchased an Atlantic as well. My budget was originally $2.5K but heck, I think I'm worth it :wink: 

you only live once 

Congrats

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #23 of 25
Thanks John!
I have a sizable investment in Hi Rez files, both PCM and DSD. One big reason I went for the Lampi is the minimal risk of obsolescence. Another is the state of Digital today which is as good as it gets. As much as I have enjoyed analog in the past, I have no desire to go back to vinyl. I digitized my most precious albums, some in 96/24 resolution. Can't wait to hear them through the Lampizator!

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #25 of 25
The Audial Model S USB is an excellent PCM-only NOS DAC. It uses the Philips TDA1541A DAC chip.

Necro much ?

The thread is two years old, I would think the OP will have already purchased a product that fits their needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back