What is the best DAC/Amp combo that can drive small bookshelf speakers?
Feb 15, 2016 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

meemorize

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

So I have a pair or NHT Absolute Zero speakers (small bookshelf size) connected to my computers (1x Mac + 1x PC) via an NuForce Icon DAC/Amp.

This all worked great but about a week ago I noticed the sound cutting in and out with loud pops that are the same type of pop sound when you turn the NuForce on/off with speakers connected. Then 2 days ago my NuForce just stopped working entirely.

As sad as I may be about this, it's also an opportunity to get a new DAC/Amp desktop combo unit that can drive my little speakers.

After a bit of research I couldn't really find something that suited my needs so maybe you guys know something and can suggest a unit.

I'm after a relatively compact unit that costs less that $500 (if possible) and the following features are a must:

- Inputs: At least 2 inputs. Digital for at least one of them, better if both are either USB or USB+Optical/Toslink, but if it's 1 digital input + 1 analog one that would be okay too.
- Output should be enough to drive my little speakers (the NuForce Icon v1 drives them fine)
- Design: Would be nice if it was a DAC + Amp combo unit but if the DAC + separate amp units combined don't have a massive footprint on my desk that might work too.
- Easy input source switching (like the icon amp) or concurrent audio passthrough on all inputs so no switching is required (like the Audioengine N22). The latter would be preferred.
- Cost: less than $500 but all options considered
- Size: smaller is better in this case but all options considered

So far I've only come around to other NuForce (now Optoma NuForce) products like the NuForce Dia, NuForce DDA-120, NuForce HDP and the Audioengine N22 which unfortunately doesn't have a DAC built in.

Would love some help in finding a great DAC+Amp solution for this computer setup :)

Thanks for reading!

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 8
Active monitors are the way to go, much much better bang for the buck.

That is certainly an option but even then I need the ability to manage 2 separate inputs (PC and Mac) with either a DAC or other kind of switch.

Any suggestions on what setup I should be looking at?

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 8
  Small passive PC-speakers never did impress me with their sound, maybe because they are all old in their design?
I have the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 active speakers, bought in a sale 2 years ago, these were the best I could find at that time, sound quality and size referenced.
Now I was just dropping in a HiFi shop, and some new, small active speakers were set up, the Argon Octave 3A.
I was able to listen to them, and by chance, they also had the B & W MM-1 there.
If you want new, small, computer speakers, I do recommend the Argons!
Check them out, I would have bought them, but I already have the B & W, and have spent too much lately.

The NHT's are not really "PC speakers" but rather standard bookshelf speakers that I'm using with a PC as the source. Semantics aside, I think the MM-1 look nice!

I read that the MM-1s have a USB connection as well as a 3.5mm analogue input source, if both are connected can you choose which sound input is output via the speakers? Or are both sound sources played back at the same time?

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #7 of 8
That is certainly an option but even then I need the ability to manage 2 separate inputs (PC and Mac) with either a DAC or other kind of switch.

Any suggestions on what setup I should be looking at?

Lots and lots

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/computer-audio/audio_interfaces/

http://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 8
Stereo 50, it has good headphone out as well.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/retro-stereo-50/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back