WHAT IS THE BEST CHOICE? AUNE, AUDINST, ZERO, MAVERICK D1 OR SOMETHING ELSE?
Mar 4, 2011 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

fortress34

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I want to make a transition to desktop world..

First of all, I want to buy a DAC/AMP combo device..
I'm not qualified at this kind of devices, so I need an advice for which one I must choose..
I found that 4 devices may be sensible for me.. Those are in my budget limit which it's 250 USD max..
You may advice other alternatives too, may be second-hand..

I have a Creative Aurvana Live headphone for now.. Later I will upgrade to Ultrasone pro900 or Fostex T50RP's.

I'm listening FLAC's with foobar2000..
My music genres varies but usually pop, rock, R&B etc..
My source will be my PC via USB and coax.. My sound card is Creative X-fi extreme music..

I will be very grateful for your help..
Thanks..

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 19
You actually have alot of choices in that range. My vote would be the Audio-gd NFB-12 which is $237 on Pacific Valve. However you have plenty of choices, all with different strengths and weaknesses. Check out head-direct.com for lots of other choices, also I have heard good things about the amps you mentioned.

Joshua

Mar 4, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 19
Thank you very much Joshua..
Now NFB-12 is in my alternatives too..

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 19
I was waiting for more experienced people to chime in but let's review some choices after I did a bit of research. (Impressions I got from others who have reviewed them.)

$150 Aune MkII - Supposedly just OK stock but can be improved alot by switching out the op-amps and possibly using an 18-volt adapter instead of the 12-volt. Probably only a good choice if you intend to mod it, others may be better stock. (very pretty amp though)

$180 Audinst MX-1 - Not as pretty as the Aune but it seems to be excellent already in stock configuration. Supposedly better than the popular uDAC, Like most amps, may need a fair amount of burn in to sound it's best. Looks like a very good value.

$120-130 Zero DAC - Also supposed to be very good stock but popular for modding. Looks like a great value from the reviews.

$200 Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 - One of the most versatile choices and looks very nice, so far I've only seen good reviews. I would keep this near the top of the list if you have enough space.

$245 iBasso D10 Cobra - iBasso is well respected and all their products are supposed to be very nice, particularly seen the D10 suggested alot; including to be used with the Ultrasone Pro 900. It's portable and compact but I don't think it sacrifices anything for it's size.

$237 Audio-gd NFB-12 - Looks like a really great value and all their products get excellent reviews. I would expect a product like this to go for something like $500-600 instead of $237. The DAC section is supposed to be particularly excellent.

This is just the impressions I get from the reviews I found. See if anyone else has any suggestions. There are many other choices including alot of inexpensive tube amps/Dacs from Darkvoice and others. Really depends on what you want, how much space you have, whether you need any pre-amp functionality in the future and such. whether you want to try different op-amps/tubes or just plan on leaving them stock etc.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #5 of 19
Woow.. You're amazing dude..
confused_face(1).gif

Very surprised me with your entry..
Really thanks a lot..

As for the devices.. 
I'm eliminating Aune and Audinst initially for lacking of connectivity and other reasons..

I read about Zero is good enough but I'm not sure for it's amping capabilities..

I'm eliminating Ibasso D10 too, because of I think that, other devices capabilities wider and higher..

Now remains Maverick and Audio-gd..
These are my precious options from the beginning..

Maverick is tempting me but I think NFB-12 is a little bit sensible for me..
Maverick's tubed amp is also interesting..

It's hard to choose but I think I will go on with NFB-12..
I didn't hear anything bad about this and heard tons of compliments for it's DAC and AMP..
I think this is the one for me..

Thanks again Joshua..

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 19
i have an Aune MKIIse, it's just fine and nicely built, likes 15v over 12v tbh, no change at all giving it 18v from what i can tell, no optical in though, annoyingly.  Headphone section, whilst very clear and able enough, can't beat all-round my cheap nad c300 integrated, but then i doubt any of these 'cheap' dac/amp combos could.

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #7 of 19
Thanks for info @googleborg..

I placed an order today for NFB-12..
I think this is the unbeatable one.. (I guess
L3000.gif
 )

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #8 of 19
hope it serves you well, audio gd tempted me but my budget was on the small side 
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 19
Thank you..
Also NFB-12 is on the small budget side for a pleasant DAC/AMP too..

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 19
I ordered it around the same time you did, update us when they are about to ship it, I have not heard back from them yet (about shipping, they received my monay just fine lol)

Mar 14, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 19
Don't be surprised if you have to wait a month or so before getting delivery info, that's normal. Unfortunately lots of us are waiting. Welcome to the club :)

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #12 of 19
I hope that delivery will be soon..
They told me when i'm giving the order, they will send it at middle of march..
If they aren't eating me of course.. Lol..

Mar 14, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 19
on the delivery for mine they just put "as soon as possible," I mean I asked them to ship it asap, but I was hoping for something more concrete than that. oh well, I am sure it will be worth the wait, I just dont wanna wait >_<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back