What is the best CD player for $300
May 7, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 13
I concur. The Onix XCD-88 is very good at $299 plus $15 shipping from AV123 in the U.S. I modded this player, "upgrading" the op amps to OPA627s, for roughly $85 - including 2 Browndog adaptors. The basic unmodded player is very good, and is HDCD capable. Later, when time and money are available, you can easily mod this player or have someone else mod the unit.

May 7, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 13
Another vote for the Onix - though I would caution that it errs a bit on the bright side of neutral - so best not to pair it with a bright amp and bright headphones (as I did
eek.gif
) . It is a superb little player - very revealing and very solid too.

May 7, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 13
How much better is the Onix than say the Sherwood Newcastle CD-980T, which I can probably get for under $200. Just wondering about the comparison between components and sound.

May 8, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 13
I tried the Music Hall CD 25 and was not that impressed with it, as the bass was quite shy. The Music Hall is almost the same as the Onix, so I would advise against it if you are a rocker. Should work well for classical and jazz.

May 8, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 13
I am also interested in an Onix XCD-88 CD player but I wanted to know how it does with CD-Rs. I have a lot of CD-R and some players just don’t work that well with them. Can anyone comment on CD-R compatibility with the Onix XCD-88.

May 8, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63
I am also interested in an Onix XCD-88 CD player but I wanted to know how it does with CD-Rs. I have a lot of CD-R and some players just don’t work that well with them. Can anyone comment on CD-R compatibility with the Onix XCD-88.

I use the music hall cd-25 version of this player and I have had no trouble using CD-R's. In fact, I use CD-R's more than my regular release CD's.
wink.gif

May 9, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #13 of 13
Ok, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back