what is the best amp for my setup?
Dec 24, 2003 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

3rdoptic

New Head-Fier
Got a pair of hd580s which are plugged straight into my nforce2 soundcard .. Now they sound ten times better than my old sony mdr250s
smily_headphones1.gif
just want to know what would be the best l amp to go for price wise while still making a difference in the sound ? iv heard the pimeta is the way to go.. but just verifying for the setup i have.

if i were to make my own , is it worth it ? Is it a matter of slapping one together and then thats it , or does this type of thing need hardcore debugging with a multimeter if something goes wrong ? Iv had high school experience in soldering and electronics
smily_headphones1.gif
so not that much.

Dec 25, 2003 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 10
I would say a meta is an excellent starting point.

There are lots of options, If you are going to use with the computer you are probably going to want an amp that runs off ac.

...My meta is battery, and i havnt been following DIY lately, is it possible to get the pimeta to run off ac? If so that sounds like a good starting point.

Other options for starting out,

Headroom released new Airhead and bithead amps, both of which look interesting. Also, Headroom Home amps have been going for pretty cheap lately used on places like ebay.

You could always consider saving up and buying a better dedicated amp (since you know you will eventually
biggrin.gif
)
...the 400-500 range is where things start to heat up.

(edit: WELCOME TO HEAD-FI
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Dec 25, 2003 at 10:01 AM Post #4 of 10
yeh i cant really justify spending more than $200 usd on a amp when im just a n00b. Dont really have Gs lying around to go crazy anyways :/ Although i think sound equipment is also a investment, my dad has a setup still laying around from the 70s and the setup still bumps. It was assembled by an old school audiophile. Need to get in touch with him because he is still into HIFI after 30+ years
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2003 at 10:17 AM Post #5 of 10
Well if you are firm on 200, then (as mentioned in a similar thread) JMTs Home amp is probably a good bet.

Heres a link to his site:
http://www.jmtaudio.com/

Dec 25, 2003 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 10
Do a search in the for sale forum and see if either of the Rega Ear amps are still around. There were a couple last week. They are better than the Meta I had. They sell new for about 225.00. Used prices around 150-175. They match up great with the senns. Merry Christmas.

Dec 25, 2003 at 11:27 AM Post #8 of 10
I will just give my opinion on the Rega Ear when I used it with my HD-600. I bought the Rega Ear when I found the headphone jack when used with the Pioneer receiver I had was very deficient.

It seemed to be fine until, for other reasons I replaced the Pioneer with a Denon receiver but I did not initially try the headphone jack of the Denon. But, for a lark, while testing my newly purchased Rega Ear I tried the headphone jack in the Denon. I was upset. My headphone jack in the Denon was at least the equal but in actual fact better (I really wanted the Rega Ear to work).

I then used the Denon headphone jack and, just for a trial I bought the X-Can V3. I was not looking to spend more money and was not predisposed towards it.

However, I find the X-Can V3 a noticeable improvement on my Denon headphone Jack and the build quality is outstanding. I am staying with it until I find a marked improvement in some other headamp which does not cost me an exhorbitant amount of money. I am satisfied and with my profligate spending habits of late I am likely to stay with this headamp for some time.

Edit: But viewing your cost constraints I would think long and hard about spending money on a second hand budget amplifier. Perhaps it would be better to just hold off for the moment and save up for a better quality amp.

Peter

Dec 25, 2003 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 10
what a dedicated amp or just a headphone amp? I dont really care about top quality atm coz im only a n00b (and i really cant justify that much for the amount of sound i listen to) and when it comes down to it ill be able to sell the equipment for a decent price anyway, when its time to upgrade? I just want something nicer than a regular headphone setup, which still has some lowend-mid quality (essentially squeeze as much quality as possible with a budget)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back