What is the best 200 dollar amp?
Feb 20, 2014 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shnjb

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to set up something with my Pioneer BS-22. 
I have an Airport Express which will serve as the source and DAC.

I might add a sub down the line if I find the bass insufficient.

Any recs?

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 7
  I'm looking to set up something with my Pioneer BS-22. 
I have an Airport Express which will serve as the source and DAC.
I might add a sub down the line if I find the bass insufficient.
Any recs?

You might also consider posting questions about speaker audio on the websites AVSforum or AVforum.
Parts-express sells some lower costing speaker amplifiers.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 7
Check out the Schiit Audio amps. They have three options in the 100-250 range and another amp, which I'd recommend saving a bit more for, the Valhalla.

In all honesty though your better getting a DAC & amp or DAC/AMP combo. If your looking to get a DAC and amp for under 200 Schiit audio has a great cost-sensitive setup with the Magni Amp and Modi DAC. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 7
I've posted this question at several places and there have been many many many recommendations.

Lepai: ~$20
Dayton DTA-100a: $70
Lepai LP7498E 200W: $130
Dayton APA 150: $150
Yamaha RX-V375: $189
TEAC AH-01: $299
emotiva mini X: $219 
Topping TP60: $220 
Yamaha RX-V475: $400
Denon AVR-1913: $400
Denon E300: $400
Yamaha CRX-N560BL: $450

I rather like the Yamaha RX-V375 and TEAC AH-01 so far.
They seem like a lot of functionalities for very little money.
Lepai or Dayton100a seem like good deals but I don't know if I will like having no sub.

But having no experience buying these things, I really have no idea lol... it seems very subjective.
Not that many reviews have measurements.
I'm guessing the differences are power, noise, and the frequency/power profile right?
And then creature comforts like remotes, # of inputs, airplay, etc.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 7
The Yamaha amps for home theater are fine for watching movies or listening to music in a pinch. But I think you can do better for a dedicated amp for music through speakers or headphones.  But to purchase an amp for this purpose of any quality, you will have to pay significantly more than $200. At $200 I would just look at the reliability and features.

Bob Graham

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 7
  The Yamaha amps for home theater are fine for watching movies or listening to music in a pinch. But I think you can do better for a dedicated amp for music through speakers or headphones.  But to purchase an amp for this purpose of any quality, you will have to pay significantly more than $200. At $200 I would just look at the reliability and features.

Bob Graham

What is the sweet spot for amp for this purpose of some quality?
Note that I'm not an audiophile and I don't have the exquisitely sensitive hearing to tell apart hi-fi from low. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 7

What is the sweet spot for amp for this purpose of some quality?
Note that I'm not an audiophile and I don't have the exquisitely sensitive hearing to tell apart hi-fi from low. 

If you really plan on getting a sub-woofer, then getting an A/V receiver (Yamaha RX-V375) would be a good choice, as the A/V receiver comes with a dedicated sub-woofer output, allowing you to use just about any sub-woofer of your choice.
If you decide to just stick to a 2.0 setup, then any low cost amplifier should do (Lepai).
It is possible to add a sub-woofer to a Pioneer/lepai setup, but the choice would be very limited and it would be bargain basement sub-woofers..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back