What is the bare mininum?
May 14, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 19
Entirely depends on your gear.

May 14, 2003 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 19
I'll start the bidding at $30.

This is, of course, ignoring DIY possiblities.

May 14, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 19
Sol_Zen is correct. No easy answer. My stock answer is "anything below $50 is a waste of money, over $100 things start to get interesting". But the amount spent on a cable needs to be proportionate to your gear. Sticking a $500 cable between a PCDP and a Total AirHead, defies common sense of course (I would hope.
confused.gif
)

May 14, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 19
I always hear 10 percent of what your system is worth. Sounds good to me.

May 14, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 19
Matt,
Also, what kind of interconnects do you need and between what?

Mini-mini? Mini-RCA? RCA-RCA? Balanced XLR?

If you're looking for cheap yet good quality RCA-RCA, look at the AR Pro, Phoenix Gold , or Kimber Tonik.

I think the Kimber Tonik is a good value. It's just like their PBJs but without the WBT connectors.

May 14, 2003 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 19
IF you can DIY then you can start to defy the rules. A few years ago I made my first Jon Risch twisted pair with Dayton RCA's. The day after making them my Harmonic Technology Truthlinks ($250) went up for sale on Audiogon. Belden sent me free sample cables needed, the Dayton RCA's were $10. My time and Cardas solder. Now that is cheap!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 15, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #11 of 19
DIY cables have its own value. But if you're good enough to make cables that sound better than cables selling for thousands of dollars how long would it take you to start selling them? My guess is not long and then how long would it take before your DIY products sell for hundreds and then thousands of dollars? Would they then still be a good value or a ripoff?

Everyone starts somewhere. Everything has its own value. They say high end audio is all about subtleties. If your cable is the best in the world you can charge anything for it and if someone buys it and likes it no one can say it's a ripoff.

It's a matter of finding a cable you're happy with at a price point that is acceptable to you. A DIY cable can certainly beat a boutique cable. But the odds of your DIY cable beating a name brand expensive highly regarded cable is slim. Even among Belden based cables there are good and bad. Unfortunately there's no sure way except to try it out in your own system.

May 15, 2003 at 5:21 AM Post #12 of 19
If you aren't looking to spend a lot, I would recommend Outlaw.

If you are willing to go up the ladder in price, the Cardas line seems to be a good bet.

If you are willing to experiment, then just pick one that has gotten some decent reviews and a return policy and give it a try.
wink.gif

May 15, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Howie
A DIY cable can certainly beat a boutique cable. But the odds of your DIY cable beating a name brand expensive highly regarded cable is slim.

I'm not the only one to have beaten the odds. I spend the oodles I save on more music and return to my wire spool, solder, and phono plugs whenever I need another cable.

NGF

May 15, 2003 at 8:59 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
I always hear 10 percent of what your system is worth. Sounds good to me.

I usually hear - Speakers 60%, Amp 30%, Cables 10%, but of course regarding headphones the headphone/amp price difference defies reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back