What is the ASL UHC Signature?
Sep 27, 2003 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

seefeel

100+ Head-Fier
How does the Antique Sound Labs UHC Signature work? What does it do exactly? Does it use the power of a home amplifier to power the headphones? Does this mean if I have a very powerful high-end amplifier it will provide ample power and volume to the headphones and will also provide the sound quality of the amp to them as well?

Could this offer a sound quality as good as or better than high-end headphone amps if you have a really good power amplifier hooked up to it?

Sep 27, 2003 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 13
It is matching impedance transformer, inside there is a transformer, and it also act as a level attenuator, in other words it takes the speaker out signal of an speaker amp, and make it usable by a headphone, lowering the output and matching the impedance....the sound is better than the jack "usually" those resistors you find on the amp jacks, are not of a very good quality as they are just put there to acomplish another requirement and indeed afterthought devices

Sep 27, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 13
If you use an high-end amplifier can it sound as good or better than a high-end headphone amplifier?
Or will a dedicated headphone amp always win out no matter what power amplifier you use with the UHC Signature?

Sep 27, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 13
I'm not entitled to answer you that, as the only time I try it was with my Amp Two, not a high end amp, and I preffer it to the jack by subtle differences, but some headamps may sound better, ask Joe Lau the manufacturer, he is a member os our forum, he has to know, he made also the twinhead, a beast, he have heard a good amps and a good headamps, both, of course the UCH cost 190, a good tube headamp amp, more than a 1000.00, make your math, but I doubt that it will sound better....

Sep 27, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 13
Sure, I'll do the math. I have used the UHC ($150) and ASL 1005DTI ($1700), that's about $1850, much more than most headamps.

To answer your question seefeel, it will sound like whatever amp you use the UHC with. It doesn't seem to add or change the sound of the amp you use it with.

Sep 27, 2003 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 13
Some people (not me) are very reluctant to the use of transformers as coupling devices in the signal, see Kevin Gilmore priciples of design for headamps in headwize, maybe you and me like it, but others won't even give it a try....

Sep 27, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by seefeel
If you use an high-end amplifier can it sound as good or better than a high-end headphone amplifier?
Or will a dedicated headphone amp always win out no matter what power amplifier you use with the UHC Signature?

I recently tried out my ASL UHC-Signature with a Krell KAV-300i, and it sounded quite good. In fact, that was the first time I actually liked the sound of the Krell. It kind of sounded like one of Headroom's higher end products (though not as good as the Blockhead). It can sound as good or better than some dedicated headphone amps, but I've also heard the combination bested by one or two dedicated headphone amps.

PS They don't work with everything. An odd little combination was the Jolida JD102B, ASL UHC-Sig, and HD600's. Bloated, untamed bass; insane (though might have been good for a dum-bass). Didn't sound like the amp at all in that case. But that was the exception, not the rule.

I think at the price, it's worth trying, but it depends on your budget.

Sep 29, 2003 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 13
A device like that comes in handy when you want to try more amplifiers with your haedphones as wider choices are available outside of head amp offerings.

I had a very similar thing as ASL made few years ago when I bought VTL Tiny Triodes as it effectively made 'em into a headamp for my Grado.

Since then, I've used it with various amplifiers/ preamps/ integrated ( mine works on anything under 100 watts ) with my headphones. See with this thing, I am not locked into a volume pot either. I can change a preamp to suit the headphones. You literaly build a system as you build a speaker system.

It seems to preserve each amps' traits fairly accurately and I don't reallly hear any additive or minuses using it. ( speaker switch is another matter, however )

Which way is better? It has been all depends on a system/headphones.

Sep 30, 2003 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 13
How about power? If you were to use a 200WPC amp, would the power to the headphones be more than if you used an amp that was 100WPC? Or does the UHC Signature balance it out somehow? I guess what I'm asking is if you can get a more powerful and robust sound with a higher power amp through the UHC Signature if that makes sense.

Sep 30, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by seefeel
How about power? If you were to use a 200WPC amp, would the power to the headphones be more than if you used an amp that was 100WPC? Or does the UHC Signature balance it out somehow? I guess what I'm asking is if you can get a more powerful and robust sound with a higher power amp through the UHC Signature if that makes sense.

I duuno about UHC, but mine is efficient enough to drive low impedance phones like Grado and output power out of my *thingy* is set.

UHC might have two different outputs for low and high impedance phones.

As far as robust sounding power, it depends on the amplifier you hook up to it.
Not all 100 watts sound like 100 watts and a percieved power depends on cct. design, voicing and parts used. ( don't ask me why, cuz, i won't be able to provide a technical explanation for it. )
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma UHC might have two different outputs for low and high impedance phones.

No, does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back