What is the approximate threshold (in terms of price) for headphones for stagnation of quality improvement for 320 KBPS encoded mp3s ?
Mar 15, 2012 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nachiket

New Head-Fier
Well, I know the title (or my question) may seem vague, so I will try to elaborate :

I assume (based on my reading so far on various forums/sites and some experience ) that the hi-fi world is a world of diminishing returns as we move up the price ladder. In other words, we increasingly have to pay more (and a hell lot more) for seemingly small improvements in quality of sound.

Also, the sound we get in a headphone is the result of a CHAIN of events and that chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Here is the chain as I understand it (I may have bypassed some steps, please correct me if I am grossly wrong anywhere) :

Recording -> Mixing -> Encoding (if compressed audio) -> Source/DAC -> Amp ->Headphones

We cannot control the "Recording -> Mixing" most of the times.

However, assuming that the encoding is 320 kbps CBR(which is the best available for mp3s bought on amazon etc.) and an amp+Dac in the sub-$ 200 category (like Headroom's total bit-head, or FiiO E11 etc. ) , there is only an 'X' amount of quality/level of detail that can be available to the headphones with this setup.

Obviously, cheap headphones (say <$30) may not be able to exploit the full potential (X) of our setup to any extent. As we move up the price ladder, the headphones will start bringing out the best in our current setup. After moving up sufficiently, there will come a point where upgrading headphones further will NOT bring about any detectable improvement in sound (other than the difference in the sound signature) . This is the point where our setup will be utilized to its fullest potential. Any further improvement in SQ can only be obtained by changing the source/bitrate/Amp/Dac.

I want to know :
1. If my understanding of there things is correct.
2. If  YES, then what is the price range for headphones for which there will not be any detectable improvement in SQ for the given setup.

I feel this threshold will fall somewhere between 350 - 500 $, and I may be totally wrong
tongue_smile.gif

I ask this I cannot personally test/try any hi-end equipment as I live in India where most people have never even heard about an amp for speakers, let alone headphones
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 9
Heya,

You've got a pretty good idea of it.

Upwards of $500 is justifiable for 320kbps MP3 in my book. Beyond that, and it's novelty unless your source music is unworldly. And by that, I'm thinking Denon D5000 with a competent DAC/AMP basically, or a Sennheiser HD600 setup.

By the way, go to HDtracks.com if you want flawless very well recorded stuff that is previewable.

Very best,

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 9
"Quality" isn't the only variable that matters - at least for me. Each headphone has its own signature that makes it more or less appealing to an individual listener. It's not a matter of whether a headphone has better sound; it's the quality of sound you prefer. For example, I've come to like the HD800 and AKG K701 for full-sized phones, because I prefer a more "clinical" sound, with an emphasis on treble. 

1. Is my understanding of the aforementioned factors correct? Only very basically; but for many users, "sound quality" may be as important as the qualities you're looking for in a headphone. 
2. What's the price range where you won't notice a detectable difference in SQ? If you emphasize the word "detectable," I've been able to tell the difference between different headphones readily, regardless of price. The significance of the difference depends on the experience and tastes of the listener. 

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
"Quality" isn't the only variable that matters - at least for me. Each headphone has its own signature that makes it more or less appealing to an individual listener. It's not a matter of whether a headphone has better sound; it's the quality of sound you prefer. For example, I've come to like the HD800 and AKG K701 for full-sized phones, because I prefer a more "clinical" sound, with an emphasis on treble. 

1. Is my understanding of the aforementioned factors correct? Only very basically; but for many users, "sound quality" may be as important as the qualities you're looking for in a headphone. 
2. What's the price range where you won't notice a detectable difference in SQ? If you emphasize the word "detectable," I've been able to tell the difference between different headphones readily, regardless of price. The significance of the difference depends on the experience and tastes of the listener. 

Thanks poikkeus for the reply, Yes, I  ignored the sound signature aspect but it was for a reason. Personal taste apart, my question was more like will the bass sound tighter as you move up, will the mids be more detailed etc...

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 9
I would have thought that, about 6 months ago. But right now I'm listening to new HE-6s, powered by a vintage Kenwood amp (~15W from the phones jack on this puppy) that was $80, and a $250 Little Dot DAC 1. That's <$350 in components and the sound from the HE-6s is stunningly good, best I've ever heard from a pair of headphones, with the exception of an $8k Stax setup I demoed a while back.

As for 320k MP3 vs. uncompressed, you'd be shocked to find out how many people can't tell much difference at all, including audiophiles, no matter what gear is used to test.

So, I'm thinking, HRT Music Streamer II ($149) + decent vintage receiver/IA ($50-100) and it's almost sky is the limit.

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Heya,

You've got a pretty good idea of it.

Upwards of $500 is justifiable for 320kbps MP3 in my book. Beyond that, and it's novelty unless your source music is unworldly. And by that, I'm thinking Denon D5000 with a competent DAC/AMP basically, or a Sennheiser HD600 setup.

By the way, go to HDtracks.com if you want flawless very well recorded stuff that is previewable.

Very best,

Thanks a ton for the HDtracks.com link.
Secondly I could not help pondering over your signature, and boy ! those are really some of the most legendary cans that you have got there
regular_smile%20.gif
I wish I can burn through a similar list some day
normal_smile%20.gif

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 9
I know we can't talk about (letter)/(letter)/(letter) testing here... how about a linky?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/594934/blind-test-lossless-vs-mp3-320/15

The point is for most of the guys who did the (ahem..) comparison, they could not really tell the two apart.  And some of them have multi-kilobuck systems that should be able to resolve anything.  I think that just puts it into perspective.  But expensive headphones and gear are for more than just squeezing out every last bit of information that even the mastering engineer or artist themselves couldn't hear when they were listening to their own stuff.  I think you're pretty on with your assumed threshold ($350-500).  Although I've read of guys who claim to pick out FLAC from 320 using their "crappy" laptop speakers.  
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I know we can't talk about (letter)/(letter)/(letter) testing here... how about a linky?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/594934/blind-test-lossless-vs-mp3-320/15

The point is for most of the guys who did the (ahem..) comparison, they could not really tell the two apart.  And some of them have multi-kilobuck systems that should be able to resolve anything.  I think that just puts it into perspective.  But expensive headphones and gear are for more than just squeezing out every last bit of information that even the mastering engineer or artist themselves couldn't hear when they were listening to their own stuff.  I think you're pretty on with your assumed threshold ($350-500).  Although I've read of guys who claim to pick out FLAC from 320 using their "crappy" laptop speakers.  
biggrin.gif

I definitely salute those who can tell such a difference (pick out FLAC from 320 using their "crappy" laptop speakers.)
biggrin.gif

and by the way, I saw your picks of the Headphone fest at Tokyo... Man, I wish I lived in Japan or the US ...!!! Awesome experience it must have been ..!!

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks a lot guys. I think your comments make a decent case for me to upgrade. But first I will have to take care of the initial end of the setup given the fact that I have an HD 595 in my armoury but no decent amp(though I do have that namesake amp called FiiO E5 ) to drive it and not to mention I use the stock soundcard on my dell PC
biggrin.gif
...so its better that I start with HRT Music Streamer II and an amp though I may be inclined towards the Headroom AMP + DAC combo..one device less to carry around.

Then I might think of the Beyerdynamic DT880 / DT990...or hope I can save enough for something better ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back