What is that term called again?
Nov 26, 2008 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Thrashingshrimp

100+ Head-Fier
Whenever an IEM amplifies the noise that comes from the wires rubbing on your shirt (or anything for that matter). I know my Marshmallows do this, and I'm looking for another IEM that prevents this from happening (while remaining as cheap as possible).

I know, I'm a nub, don't eat me.
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 10
Microphonics also describes the noise tubes make.

You could possibly be looking for the term "triboelectric noise", which is the noise unique to cables.

For what it's worth, the way to rid yourself of this problem is to wrap the cable over your ear. You need something to minimize or dampen the vibrations of the cable other than your ear canal. Some IEM's also have a shirt clip which works pretty well.

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 10
Sweet, thanks for the info. It may be useful to me.
beerchug.gif

Though, I'm just curious. Are there any IEM's that completely rids itself of microphonics? I heard some Westones do this. Maybe I should start saving up. I hate the stupid noises
frown.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 10
The westone designs have some of the lowest microphonics of anything I've used, but only because they're designed to wrap up and over your ear, and they're designed to fill a lot more ear space than just your ear canal. The extra space they fill helps dampen the vibrations, which is what causes the noise.

they're also great IEMs, so I'd consider picking up a pair. The UM1 goes for about $100 used on these boards, and is a good deal at that price. the Westone 2 goes for $200, and is a much better deal.

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 10
Stock cable from the UE TF 10 Pros have very very low microphonics. The custom cable from Null Audio has way more microphonics, yet in an acceptable way, if you don't hear your rig while jogging or taking the dog out.

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 10
If you don't want to pay too much for new IEMS or canalphones (that is if you just are tired of the marshmallows), you can get the jvc fx66 which is like the big brother of your current earphones. I just got them a couple days ago and have been loving them. The most comfortable in ear's I have ever used. The lil air cushions really help prevent microphonics. THere's also a little slider thing on the cord that you can move up near your chin (although i'm unsure how much that helps...).

They're cheap on buy.com!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back