what is that noise?
Jan 25, 2006 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mojorisin676

100+ Head-Fier
Sometimes, when I listen to my speakers when no music is playing (and now headphones through my new little dot micro), it seems that sometimes I will hear a series of short little hisses, they seem to get louder as I turn up the volume. At first I thought it was only my computer but now it seems I'm having the same problem on my L.D.M. that I just received today. Is there a way to diminish this sound and can someone explain exactly what it is?

Jan 25, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 14
Is your laptop the source in question? A lot of stock soundcards for desks and lappys tend to be quite crappy (and sometimes hissy).

It could also be electronic interference.

Jan 25, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 14
that's the thing, I use my crappy stock laptop sound card, but I'm hopefully going to upgrade to a Audigy 2 ZS notebook...and the other source would be an ipod 5g. It seems though when I connect the ipod to the little dot micro, at high levels and sometimes middle levels of volume, I can hear static hisses.

Jan 25, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojorisin676
that's the thing, I use my crappy stock laptop sound card, but I'm hopefully going to upgrade to a Audigy 2 ZS notebook...and the other source would be an ipod 5g. It seems though when I connect the ipod to the little dot micro, at high levels and sometimes middle levels of volume, I can hear static hisses.

Are you amping directly out of the ipod's headphone out? That could explain the static n hiss.

Jan 25, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 14
Yes, what could I do to resolve this problem though?

Jan 25, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 14
They talk about a "pocket dock", but what exactly is the difference if the signal is carried over firewire, how will that improve the sound?

Jan 25, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

They talk about a "pocket dock", but what exactly is the difference if the signal is carried over firewire, how will that improve the sound?

The signal isn't carried through the firewire (I think, but I'm not tech-savvy). Many docks have a firewire and and separate line out output (to hook up to those crappy expensive speakers apple and friends sell), and the latter is what matters. Quite a few docks nowadays don't even have the firewire port, since the 5g doesn't really support it. And to get down to it, most/all people seem to prefer the line out signal for hooking up to an external amp, be it for speakers or headphones. Considering how cheap some of the docks are, it may be worth a shot. YMMV

Jan 25, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #9 of 14
Oh alright, I see, they sell a pocket dock with lineout and firewire, I guess i'll have to try that out and see if it helps.
Thanks
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Oh alright, I see, they sell a pocket dock with lineout and firewire, I guess i'll have to try that out and see if it helps.
Thanks
biggrin.gif

Shoot member TURBO a pm, he makes a nice diy dock for a good price. Never tried it myself, but I've read only good things in regard to sound. (yea, I'm being a donkey butt for possibly recommending something I haven't heard, sue me)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
Interference from a cell phone.

Seconded.

Laptops also cause these sorts of problems so I keep my laptop away from my headphone amp when listening.

Jan 25, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #13 of 14
does the hiss change when you move the mouse? a lot of soundcards (onboard or not) have a problem called video blitter, where video signal rf leaks into the soundcards.

cellphone rf is too high (ghz range) to be audible.

one way to solve it is to put a volume control from ratshack on the minijack, and plug the headphones into that. the extra resistance will mask the white noise a bit. not particularly hi-fi, but particularly cheap.

Jan 25, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by paper
cellphone rf is too high (ghz range) to be audible.

Cellphone generates major interference in the audible range. Mostly in the phase of connecting to the cell during startup or before getting a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back