what is some good stuff in different languages? mellow, pretty stuff: metal, techno
Jul 13, 2003 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

fappar

100+ Head-Fier
i really dig stuff thats in different lagnuages other than english.

stuff like Sigur Ros, or Jennifer Charles & Oren Bloedow. just recommend, and possibly link to some mp3s...
biggrin.gif

thanks!

/edit: just like 20 second song demos or something... things that the record companies have liscened for public listening.

Jul 14, 2003 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by dabblerblue
There's always the Cranes. I can hardly ever understand what she's saying...

www.starblood.org

damn, i like it! unfortunately, im cursed with a golden ear. not a word is spoken that does not issue its meaning to me somehow... this honey is a bit of a challenge, but ive heard wrose.. heh

Jul 14, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 14
Clann Zu has a gorgeous bi-polar sound. Though a lot of it is in English there is always a thread or two of Gaelic slipped into it. Everyone should check these guys out!!!!!!

Jul 14, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #6 of 14
Stereolab is good in a mix of french and English...a little more pop-like. For that matter, so is Pizzicato Five in Japanese...very pop-py, upbeat and fun. The lyrics are really funny if you can speak Japanese or read the translations. I suggest Made in the USA for Pizzicato Five and Dots and Loops for Stereolab. Stereolab has a lot of good albums though, so depending on who you ask, you will get a different answer -- if you like one of them, you will probably like most. If you are into Russian, check out Zemfira, but it is definitely an acquired taste.

Jul 14, 2003 at 8:36 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by fappar
damn, i like it! unfortunately, im cursed with a golden ear. not a word is spoken that does not issue its meaning to me somehow... this honey is a bit of a challenge, but ive heard wrose.. heh

They have an album which is sung/spoken entirely in french.

It's called La Tragédie d'Oreste et Électre , and it's based on Jean-Paul Sartre's play "Les Mouches".

Very different from their other albums...very synth-based, and soundtracky.

Also very difficult to find, at times, as it was a limited edition release.

Jul 15, 2003 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 14
There was a French group called Atoll in the '70's. I guess you'd label them "progressive rock," but it's nice stuff, not totally synthesizer or anything. Very cool male vocals in French. I have what I assume is their 3rd album, "Tertio." I like it a lot, and it appears to be available on CD on Amazon. Here is the one customer review:

Classic French Prog, December 26, 2001
Reviewer: Ben Miler (see more about me) from Lakeview, OR United States Atoll, along with Magma, Pulsar, and Ange, was one of the best known prog rock bands to come out of France. Tertio, originally released in 1977 on the EuroDisc label, was the third album by Atoll. Often compared to Yes, which I can't figure out why, because at least on this album, they don't sound much like Yes (I hadn't heard their previous two albums, so I can't comment there). The music here is symphonic prog as you expect from the late 1970s. The vocals are in French, but unlike, say Ange, the vocals here seem more easy to take in and not as intrusive. The keyboards are also as you expect from prog at this time: Mini Moog, string synth (in this case, the Eminent), and clavinet, with the rest of the instrumentation consisting of the usual (guitar, bass, drums). The opening song, "Paris, C'est Fini" starts off great, but it's my least favorite song here, because they sing about various big cities around the world (London, Bangkok, Tokyo, San Francisco, New York, etc.) which isn't what I really want to hear in prog rock. Luckily the rest of the album is much better, concluding in the ever wonderful "Tunnel". Though not my favorite prog album in my collection, it's still well deserving as a prog classic, and of your prog collection, and if you like such French prog bands as Ange, you're sure to love this.

Good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2003 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 14
well, igot in Globe- Level 4. im on track 2 (its shuffled... ive heard all of the other songs already) and this is jsut amazing!!! the entie record is jsut mmind blowing... and they speak a good bit of french, too. hehe... i like french....

Jul 15, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 14
oh, and im using my v6s. the source is my ac '97 in my computer, (IPOD ARRIVES TOMORROW! HOOOOORAY!).

also, im reading the new harry potter book...page 569, and i started it yesterday. hehe. but, ive got good practice. nearly 10,000 books in my personal collection... heehee

Jul 15, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 14
How about Jean Michel Jarre's Zoolook album. Jarre goes wild with samplers, sampling tons of different sounds, including human voices in several different languages and different animal noises.

November 1984 DREYFUS / POLYDOR

1. ETHNICOLOR 11.39
2. DIVA 7.33
3. ZOOLOOKOLOGIE (Remix) 4.32
4. WOOLLOOMOOLOO 3.18
5. ZOOLOOK (Remix) 3.50
6. BLAH BLAH CAFE 3.20
7. ETHNICOLOR II 3.52

Jul 27, 2003 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 14
Cocteau Twins are the kings (and queen!) of jabberwocky.

Kraftwerk and Einsturzende Neubauten have both created multilingual songs.

Jul 27, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #13 of 14
You really should try out Tenhi. Väre is their most accessible album, and samples can be found at http://www.prophecyproductions.de/pr...php?g=1&l=mp3s

Tenhi is finnish NeoFolk, which is quickly gaining popularity around here, especially within metal listeners. The songs have a lot of variety from danceable ethnic songs to classic piano compositions. Even though the samples won't do much justice to the versatile full albums, I recommend you to check those out. They even are full songs, not just samples, heh. If you like the samples even a bit, you won't be dissapointed with the full albums, which have some of the most beautiful and melancholic acoustic songs ever created.. or almost
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2003 at 2:23 AM Post #14 of 14
You may also try Madredeus -- Electronico, an album featuring electronic remixes of the songs by this excellent Portuguese folk group. I'm not exactly familar with the people doing the mixes (the only name I recognise is Craig Armstrong), but I'm generally happy with their efforts -- and I'm a long-term fan of the band.

Better cuts include the Sunday Best remix of Ecos Na Catedral: positively trippy. The Alpha remix of Vem has a nice David Arnold feel in it. My only quibble is that many of the mixers are being over reverential to the originals -- I was hoping for a more radical treatment.

You can listen to some sound clips here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back