What is playforsure?
Feb 23, 2006 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Mobile Fuzzman

Head-Fier
what is playforsure and what does it do?

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 19
In short, it's Microsoft's certification logo for devices that support DRMed WMA, including subscription services.

Yes, and the industry's way of trying to provide a 'it works for sure' experience similar to the iPod and iTunes, allowing consumers to easily confirm that a given player will work with all of the major (non-Apple) music services. As a result a standard interface protocol for player manufacturers and online music services was developed along with a simple 'Plays for Sure' logo to make it easy for the consumer.

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 19
I think it's an excellent question.

What is it? Well, it seems to be a sticker on certain players which seems to basically serve as the cause of headaches.

What does it do? From what I can make out by observation, it seems to prevent you from transferring music to your player.

Maybe my Zen has "Playsformaybe" instead...

If I see anything else interesting, I'll be sure to let you know.

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
i love people who can't be bothered to use google or wikipedia or do anything else to help themselves. really.

if he had, others (like me) who hadn't yet heard about this could not have read the answers here, though
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 19
Used to subscribe to Yahoo Music site before switching from Creative Nomad to my current Ipod. On that site, youplug in virtually any mp3 player, go to their "playforsure" link and your player would sync with their stuff and you'd download music for a certain fee-per-month. Forget what the fee was 'cause I didn't do it.

Now, the playfor sure feature, as others have stated, guarantees compatibility with Rhapsody, yahoo Music and I suppose other nonItunes sites.

Go to Yahoo music and you can see how it works. Still subscribe to yahoo site for about $2 per month 'cause I like the variety of radio stations I can get. Too bad Itunes has a "lock"on their players and the download sources.

o well

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
My personal philosophy...avoid anything in the computer/music world that has a cute anecdotal marketing name....it will only provide grief.

You mean cute anecdotal marketing names like 'iPod' and 'iTunes'..?

Feb 26, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
My personal philosophy...avoid anything in the computer/music world that has a cute anecdotal marketing name....it will only provide grief.

Exactly - probably should be called "Will NOT play for sure.

My advice: run a mile away from any of this DRM crap. You will only get hosed in the long run. If you paid your money to buy digital music, it should be unencumbered and not dependent on any specific player.

Feb 26, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 19
Hmmm... Playsforsure has become Playsfornever again. Maybe it's a crappy implementation on the ZV:M? It's got something to do with the clock, when it stopped working I found the clock had been set somehow to the wrong time and the date to November 2007. I'm fed up with this. Anyone know of a reliable >4gb Playsforsure player because while I can take the ZV:M or leave it, I now really want Napster To Go.

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Hmmm... Playsforsure has become Playsfornever again. Maybe it's a crappy implementation on the ZV:M? It's got something to do with the clock, when it stopped working I found the clock had been set somehow to the wrong time and the date to November 2007. I'm fed up with this. Anyone know of a reliable >4gb Playsforsure player because while I can take the ZV:M or leave it, I now really want Napster To Go.

You'd be a lot better with www.allofmp3.com - no DRM crap and you are not wasting your time trying to recover music you allegedly own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back