What is needed to power Beyer 770s ?
Nov 13, 2011 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

toyopl

Head-Fier
I don't know where to post this, wherther it shuld be in portable or full-size.
Reading about headphones i failry easy, get some recommendations and boom, you know what you want.
But amps, I keep reading and I'm more lost than I was beofre.

I'm buying Beyerdynamic 770 Pro 80hz and I will be using them only on the laptop, the laptop is a desktop replacement and it never leave the room, and neither do the headphones. I honestly don't know aht to spend on an amp, but no more than $150.
I can put an amp on the desk to the side, but I don't know the differnce between portables and full-size.
How big are full-sizes ? What are benefits of either ?

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 8
You can get a small singe tube headphone amplifier off eBay, ships from China, prices start at $50.

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Could you tell me what are the differences between tube amplifiers and amplifiers like Fiio and Astro ?

Don't go for Astro, that's gaming ! :)

The main difference is in the circuitry. Now don't quiz me on this, because I'm no amplification circuitry whiz. Basically, the amp circuit is "powered" through vacuum tubes. It's basically just a different method of powering the whole amplification process. It can lead to types of good distortion, (distortion that sounds good) and lot's of people love tubes for their warmth and ability to bring out the mids.

I hope someone else can explain that without butchering it like I did :p

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Could you tell me what are the differences between tube amplifiers and amplifiers like Fiio and Astro ?

Fiio and Astro are solid state (digital) amplifiers.
The Astro is all so a Dolby Digital (Dolby Headphone 5.1) processing device. so it intakes Dolby and converts the signal into a virtual 5.1 that works with headphones.
Tube amplifiers are an analog amplifier.
Solid state is usually cheaper to make and more reliable.
With tube amplifier you can switch out the tubes in a few second to change the sound.

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Don't go for Astro, that's gaming ! :)

The main difference is in the circuitry. Now don't quiz me on this, because I'm no amplification circuitry whiz. Basically, the amp circuit is "powered" through vacuum tubes. It's basically just a different method of powering the whole amplification process. It can lead to types of good distortion, (distortion that sounds good) and lot's of people love tubes for their warmth and ability to bring out the mids.

I hope someone else can explain that without butchering it like I did :p

Actually I'm buying the setup only for gaming :)

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 8
If the laptop has a digital output (optical or Coaxial)
You can get an Astro Mix-Amp, comes with Dolby Headphone 5.1
Also there is the TBS Earforce DSS
Dolby Headphone should help with 5.1 gaming.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 8
an entry level solid state headphone amp would work good on the dt 770s since being only 80 ohm, aren't too hard to power, but do require more power than what typical laptop outputs give.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back