What is my best bet on full sized headphones for ~$150?
Aug 11, 2013 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MikeF93

New Head-Fier
I listen to mostly rock (hard rock, classic rock, punk, emo, and alternative) where the emphasis is definitely on guitar and male vocals.  I also listen to a decent amount of new country (but it is really closer to rock than country western), European house, and good old 90's pop.  I like a rather neutral sounding headphone and a slight upper bass bump is good too, but the most important thing is clear mids to avoid muddying male vocals during intensive drum sequences (which is probably the one thing my current headphones are lacking in).  For whatever reason most rock oriented headphones in the $150 (USD) range tend to have a reputation for having a V-shaped signature; I want to avoid that.

Right now I am considering the Shure SRH440 and SRH840 (only because I've heard that the 440s are slightly lacking in bass extension and comfort), Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, Sennheiser 449 (not quite sure what the difference is between these and the 380s is), Audio-Technica ath-m50 (I'm including them because they seem to be quite popular even though I've heard that they have a slightly V-shaped signature and can have muddied vocals, but that seems to be a minority opinion), Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (I've heard that they tend to exaggerate the bass and drown out the mids though; strange that they call them Pro if that's true), Klipsch Mode M40 (if I can get a good sale price), and after reading this the Phillips Citiscape Uptown.  I don't include any Grados because any of the ones that I can afford are open, and for me a closed back with decent sound isolation is a must.

In case it is relevant right now I own a pair of Sony MDR-NC7.  For the most part I find that they sound rather good (especially when the sound cancelling is turned on even thought it doesn't cancel any ambient noise).  But they are lacking in lower bass extension, during a bass drum sequence male vocals can become muddied, and cymbal clarity just isn't there. 

If there is another pair that you think would suit me better in the $150 range I'm open to suggestions as long as they are circumaural, have a single sided cord (detachable is preferred), and closed back.

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 9
I'm also now considering the Spider PowerForce after looking on Amazon.  Granted they seem to have the same target audience as Skullcandy, but reviews say that the bass is controlled and they do look awesome.  The description says that they are circumaural, but the images appear that they are on ear, which would be a deal breaker.  Does anyone know which they are?

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 9
Hello!

I have experience with ATH-M50, SRH840 as well as SRH440 from those you have mentioned and I do not think neither of them will do well for your needs although SRH-840 come close! Other headphone to consider are HD439

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 9
I have noticed the HD 439s.  According to Sennheiser itself they are almost the same as the HD 449s that I mentioned, but the 449s have a lighter diaphragm made out of some special material that allows a wider frequency range and more neutral response instead of the 439s stronger bass response.  Aside from that the 439s have a detachable cord, but the 449s [imho] look better and they are within $10 of each other.  I believe that I would prefer the sound signature of the 449s, which is why I listed them, and even if I don't a more neutral headphone tends to be more capable of being eq'ed.

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 9
I have noticed the HD 439s.  According to Sennheiser itself they are almost the same as the HD 449s that I mentioned, but the 449s have a lighter diaphragm made out of some special material that allows a wider frequency range and more neutral response instead of the 439s stronger bass response.  Aside from that the 439s have a detachable cord, but the 449s [imho] look better and they are within $10 of each other.  I believe that I would prefer the sound signature of the 449s, which is why I listed them, and even if I don't a more neutral headphone tends to be more capable of being eq'ed.

Have you tested the HD439 before? It have slight emphasis on the upper bass which is why I suggested it to you~ xD

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 9
I know you want close, full-sized headphones. But the most neutral sound I have heard is with dual armature IEMs.

Otherwise, for neutrality, you could get the Fostex T50RP headphones and mod them. Changing the pads and adding Grodan Rock Wool to the inside of the cups gives them a very linear response with slightly rolled off highs (see charts set #10 here). The T50RP does need an amp to get the most out of them.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 9
I have tested neither the 439s nor 449s because my local guitar center does not keep them in stock, but they did have the 380s and I loved them (especially after minor eq adjustments on my Sony Walkman), but at $299 MSRP they are way out of my budget (currently about $170 on Amazon, but I don't know for how long and I'm still trying to get better comparison info on the Klipsches).  The 449s just seemed like the next closest thing within the Sennheiser brand that I could afford, but now I'll take the 439s over them, but I'd still like to hear more about the Klipshes and Spiders.  I also tested the Shure 440s and thought that the 380s were just barely better, but didn't get a chance to hear the 840s which have a similar MSRP to the 380s.

Sorry if I sounded like I was telling you about the phones before, I really am looking for advice, I just wanted to make sure that what I think I know about them is correct.

I guess I just don't have a very well stocked music store near me because all they seem to have are Bose, Beats (I can't believe they had Beats in an actual music store), MDR7506, m50s, 440s, and HD 380s.  Best Buy had the Philips, and they sounded awesome (not quite as good as the 380s, but at $60 they are unbelievable), but I couldn't use my own audio source so a true comparison couldn't be made.  If you have had more experience please let me know, most of the reviews I've read for these and the Spiders seem like they were written by the manufacturers and I doubt that they are really that good.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Hello!

I have experience with ATH-M50, SRH840 as well as SRH440 from those you have mentioned and I do not think neither of them will do well for your needs although SRH-840 come close! Other headphone to consider are HD439

Hope it helps!
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

People on here are also saying that http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-250-ohms/dp/B0006NL5SM 770 Pro BD are better than ATH-M50

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 9

Ahhh!!! Sorry! Forgotten to add one more detail on the Sennheiser HD439 "Enchanced bass"!

HD439 of corse have more bass than HD449 but it's not a huge gap difference. It is also not a huge bass boost. The bass on the HD439 are well controlled, punchy, emphasis on upper bass (as mentioned) and it is not at all overpowered.

In comparison to SRH-440 with the HD439, if you tested the HD439 before the SRH-440, you may find the SRH440 to have very rolled off bass and thin in comparison to the warmer and punchier HD439.

There's not much difference between SRH-440 and SRH-840 in my opinion. The most noticeable is just that SRH-840 will have better bass respond others are pretty much similar

Hope it helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back