What is missing in Objective headphones testing ?
Sep 23, 2019 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MeZoX

Head-Fier
I am not educated in sound engineering nor am I a musician or go to concerts , so I obviously have no clue what natural music should sound like , although I spend most of my times listening to music on my headphones or stereo monitors. since I have no reference to what musical instruments should sound like ,What I find the most immersive and appealing to me is hearing more detail in music and stereo imaging , I guess that what does drive me to upgrade my sound systems , wether in terms of speaker placement , DACs, source or the speakers themselves
And of course reading subjective reviews of speakers from reputable members of this community and other communities on the internet

recently I have been introduced to objective headphones benchmarking on websites such as Rtings, and from what I understand it’s mainly reliant on performing frequency response measurements and comparing them with a modified harman target cure , the curve itself is derived from a well established research, although I feel that is hard for the reviewers to perform the measurements and be able to reproduce the same results as the research , due to the scarcity of measurement tools used in the research , which has led RTINGS to perform some modifications to the curve

I find the results hard to believe ( as I’m no way near competent to understand it ) that gaming headphones from steel series and Logitech rate higher than sennheiser hd700 and the several thousands of dollars worth focal HP.

So what is missing from this methodology , what aspects of audio performance does it not represent ?
Another question that has been bugging me , do speakers perform the same in terms of frequency response when playing an audio file of fixed decibel with a gradual increasing planar of Hz ( as the test is playing a pink noise of 90db from a range of 10hz-2khz) , or does it differ in real life scenarios of playing music where the loudness and frequency do not increase in a gradual manner ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back