What is meant by 24/96?
May 30, 2013 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sniperwill0

Head-Fier
Hey guys. I've been looking around the forums and I see 24-bit at 96kHz being mentioned a lot, especially in the context of DACs. Can anyone explain to me, or link me to a thread that explains, in simple terms, what 24/96 means? I can't seem to find a thread that explains this either. Thanks!

May 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 7
It's the sample size/rate 

The rate is measured in Hz (the 96). helps to accurately record higher frequencies and should be 2x what the highest frequency is. Humans can hear 20kHz, so CD's go for 44.1kHz to record the higher frequencies better. 

Size/depth supposedly covers for a more dynamic range (softer and louder). That's the first one (24).

DVD's/B-ray usually go for 24/96 along with higher quality recordings.
CD's usually use 16/44.1

Higher the rate/size, the more space it takes up, but there's better audio quality. However, it's pretty hard to discern 16/44.1 from 24/96 or 24/192. 

24/96 and 16/44.1 are common is why you see them often. There are some funky looking sample rates out there (the regulars are 16/44.1, 24/96 and 24/192, but there are others)

And when you see a 32 as the first, it's cloud/float. You'll see this often in upsampling DAC's because it takes a compressed file/lower quality file and reformats it. 

May 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 7
...  and if you get into Hi-Def music (downloads of music which is recorded in "higher quality" than CD) - Like https://www.hdtracks.com - Most all the music there will be 24/96 or higher (like 24/192).

I thought that might help fill out the definition a little bit. 
smile_phones.gif

The 24/192 will be the most expensive too -- to reflect the larger file size.

May 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the replies guys. 

Could you define sample size and sample rate for me? That's the only part I'm not exactly understanding. 

Also, is there a 'special' recording process used to record 24/96? Is that why not all music is recorded at 24/96, despite it being of better quality?

May 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Could you define sample size and sample rate for me? That's the only part I'm not exactly understanding. 

Also, is there a 'special' recording process used to record 24/96? Is that why not all music is recorded at 24/96, despite it being of better quality?

Sample rate is the amount of sampling per given period of time. When they copy sound and digitize it, they get a certain amount of samples per given amount amount of time.

Sample size is how much information is in a sample. 

No, but higher quality studio recordings use it. No, CD's have a certain amount of data they can hold. They've also followed the 16/44.1 standard for a long time, and the differences from 16/44.1 from 24/96 are rather minimal for the space used up at 24/96.

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
...  and if you get into Hi-Def music (downloads of music which is recorded in "higher quality" than CD) - Like https://www.hdtracks.com - Most all the music there will be 24/96 or higher (like 24/192).

I thought that might help fill out the definition a little bit. 
smile_phones.gif

The 24/192 will be the most expensive too -- to reflect the larger file size.

24/192 is just stupid, by the way.  And I don't mean that in a good way. 

But if you think the flux capacitor in your DAC is what makes it better than anyone else's gear, then 24/192 is for you.

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Most music is recorded at 24/96 or higher now.  There are some meaningful advantages during editing to working with a higher bit depth, in particular.

It just isn't released at that bit depth and sampling rate, because (1) the advantages are very small, and only perceived if you're in a perfect listening environment giving the music 100% of your attention, and (2) there's almost no effective market demand for that - they've made a few runs at higher quality audio formats, they've all failed as the broader market is moving the opposite direction.

Eg, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Audio_CD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back