What is J-Pop ?
Jul 13, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #16 of 23
Maaya Sakamoto has some good carefree and feel-good pop music. "Lucy" is a pretty good album; the last two songs are very nice. Not very groovy though.

For Chinese pop you could look into Sun Yan Zi. Again, carefree and easy pop listening with some very catchy tunes.

Jul 13, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #17 of 23
Check out Tak Matsumoto Group... heavenly guitardriven hard rock, but not J-rock. Starring Tak Matsumoto as guitarist (he even got his own signature Gibson Les Paul). He's also the guitarist and chief song writer for The B’z, a J-rock band that have sold over 80 million units in Japan alone, making them the best selling Japanese band ever
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Review of the album TMG I (the best album of 2004 IMO)

Jul 13, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #18 of 23
When BoA sings a Japanese album, is that J-Pop or K-Pop?

Jay Chou is pretty big in C-Pop. I like his music but many won't because it's kinda soft. You know you've made it when you're promoting your personalized MP3 player with Swarovski crystals inlaid.

Jul 13, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canucklehead
When BoA sings a Japanese album, is that J-Pop or K-Pop?

Jay Chou is pretty big in C-Pop. I like his music but many won't because it's kinda soft. You know you've made it when you're promoting your personalized MP3 player with Swarovski crystals inlaid.

If a pop album is in Japanese, then it's J-pop. If it's in Korean, then it's K-pop.

If C-pop refers to Chinese pop, then Jay Chou is indeed Chinese pop. If C-pop refers to Cantonese pop, then Jay Chou is not.

Jul 13, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik S.
Check out Tak Matsumoto Group... heavenly guitardriven hard rock, but not J-rock. Starring Tak Matsumoto as guitarist (he even got his own signature Gibson Les Paul). He's also the guitarist and chief song writer for The B’z, a J-rock band that have sold over 80 million units in Japan alone, making them the best selling Japanese band ever
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Review of the album TMG I (the best album of 2004 IMO)

Ive read a lot about him in guitar-related circles... Heck hes got a sig les paul!!! So in that regard hes up there with Joe Perry, Zakk wylde, Ace Frehley, Jimmy Page...etc...

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #23 of 23
Maaya Sakamoto is the only J-Pop artist that I love listening to. A godlike voice, good lyrics, and good tunes by Kanno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back