What is IT?
Dec 1, 2001 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

royboy2k

100+ Head-Fier
IT is coming...

Have you guys heard about Dean Kamen's new invention IT (codename Ginger)? It's finally being announced on monday!

Personally, I think this supposedly revolutionary transportation device could be very useful for some inner city folk and college students. I just hope it isn't too expensive.

What do you guys think?

Dec 1, 2001 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 24
Isn't this a revolutionary wheelchair of sorts? One with a gyroscope that balances on a single wheel and can elevate the person to a normal height when talking to other people? I remember hearing about something like that; but it could be something ese entirely.

Dec 1, 2001 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 24
I saw a South Park episode at home over Thanksgiving break that was a mockery of IT.

Dec 1, 2001 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 24
Sorry guys I saw this link and I thought you might be interested. I thought it was an April fools joke at first. Click the link...

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2001...tion_dc_1.html

I wonder if it could have any effect on Headphone technology.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jamie

Dec 1, 2001 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 24
huh, they mention stirling engines...now THAT would be cool. That's exactly what we need, more awareness about the potential of stirling engines.

Dec 1, 2001 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 24
Neruda, that wheelchair is the "iBot" and it was also invented by Dean Kamen. The invention being announced on monday is totally new, but will likely use the same balancing technology first used in the iBot.

Dec 2, 2001 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 24
So how much do you think a mint IT will go for on eBay?
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 2, 2001 at 3:52 AM Post #11 of 24
I have a question though...Is anyone else a little skeptical about all this? I mean, this guy's inventions are so hyped. it's like he's trying to fool people into thinking that they're more than they really are. If it exists, why say that it exists and then keep it from the public? Why not simply unveil it and forgo all the pointless suspense? I'm starting to think of it as a sham personally.

(by the way, I'm not saying that as soon as he has a prototype he should show it to everybody; I'm saying that he should finish the design, get all the patents, talk to all the people he needs to talk to, then show it to the public. Don't say "IT is coming" and then stop there. What's the point?!)

Dec 2, 2001 at 4:28 AM Post #13 of 24
The problem, for Kamen at least is, he has recieved a lot of unnecessary hype, at least according to him. Kamen never wanted all the hype becasue we will probably be dissappointed now. I don't even think Kamen himself mentioned to anyone that he is releasing some big thing, just that the media found out.

Dec 2, 2001 at 7:30 AM Post #14 of 24
god damn. now i'm dying to know. the marketing works, good golly i'm hooked. and i want an xbox. and a gamecube. and a P4. and a G4. and a PS2. and a coke. and a car. and a big mac.

advertising is evil. what if i were incredibly rich but incredibly stupid and whenever i saw an ad/commercial that used the imperative tense i would simply obey.

example, everytime i saw a billboard that read: "Enjoy Coca-Cola" i would have to go buy some coke.

i imagine i would become enormously fat. and i would want to come to where the flavour is........

Dec 2, 2001 at 8:54 AM Post #15 of 24
Gorgon, that would make a really fun sci-fi comedy type movie. Imagine that you would have to obey completely, so not only would you have to have a coke, but enjoy it too. Then the real trouble would come once you went to Japan. Land of the overblown and mistranslated English slogan. If you don't know what I mean, visit www.engrish.com This site will make you wet your pants, so be ready.
Stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back