What Is Inside A Berefsord TC-7510 MK6/3 DAC
Dec 18, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #16 of 19
Herandu,
Thanks for that link. I'll try this before I totally give up on this thing. I just am not all that impressed with the sound out of the box. Again, this is a TEC 7510 but the pictures would lead me to believe it is EXTREMELY similar to the Beresford unit. Before I try to bypass the output opamp I am going to try a browndog adapter so I can mount DIP op amps in there. As a result I can roll them and try to find something more suitable to my ears. The Mod21 is a given now that I have the facts.

Question, What mods do you think has made the biggest difference in sound quality? If the op amp what else? Are these differences very noticeable or just small tweaks?

If I bypass the opamp section completely I am tempted to try a tube output. It will be a while as I have to many other irons in the fire.

Dec 19, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #17 of 19
Yep, try a different opamp. I modified the positioning of the legs on a 5532 so that it could fit in the space of the 4558 and sound performance jumped ahead of what it was previously. Replace the tantalums behind the 4558 with electrolytic caps.
Combined with the mod21 you are going to get a good change from the standard sound. But the headphone out is not in the same league as the line outputs. So don't use the HP to make a judgement.

I mentioned ages ago that the Beresford is not just a rebranded DAC according to my info, but that it is different in some ways and that is obvious from the way it sounds. I am sorry to see that you're able to confirm that one of the DACs that doesn't carry the Beresford brand name does sound different. So the moral of the story is: if you want a Beresford, get a Beresford. The price of it is in any case lower now than its look alike, which I guess must be from the weak £.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #18 of 19
I dont know that it sounds different, I just know that I dont like it. I dont have an actual Beresford to compare it with but if someone wants to lend me a MK6 I will be happy to do so.

Feb 23, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #19 of 19
Hi,

I'm looking for a little help.

I bought a Beresford from the Homehifi website in May 2008. Last week something happened which resulted in me onboard pc sound to break (analog and digital output not working anymore). Also the coaxial 1 track is blown.

I e-mailed with Homehifi and Stanley (Beresford) answered that the 4052 must have blown due to an electrical charge.

The 4052 also mentions on the chip 'E9FB531'. What does this number mean? Google only offers this thread as a source for that number. Thing is I want to order a new 4052 and probably some spares just in case it happens again.

When searching for hcf4052 with online suppliers, there are several results matching hcf4052, like hcf4052BEY, hcf4052M013TR, etc
(Browse for Products | Farnell United Kingdom)

Which one should I go with? Or is there a better alternative for the 4052?

Thanks for any replies!

Bibbi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back