What is Home?
Feb 8, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We were raised in different families!
wink.gif

What do you mean by that?

Feb 8, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #32 of 52
Home is where you pay the bills, use call block liberally and at your own discretion.

Feb 9, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #33 of 52
Thanks for all of the great answers you guys (and gals of course).

Here's my addition: Home is where you feel distanced from the 'outside world'.

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #34 of 52
"It is not having been in the dark house, but having left it that matters."
Theodore Roosevelt

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #35 of 52
Home is where you can fry bacon and eggs naked.

Feb 9, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Home is where you can fry bacon and eggs naked.

Only a fool fries food naked.
eek.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean by that?

Just a little joke about being yourself around family members, etc.

I believe Paul Theroux said something along the lines of the difference between a tourist and a traveler is the latter "feels homesick for a place they've never been." Maybe what we feel homesick for - even if it's imaginary and can't be reached - is the answer to all this? Scorsese played with this in his Dylan doc, No Direction Home.

'Home' is where I was born/'Home' is where my divorced parents separately live (even if they move)/I've never lived somewhere I ever felt truly 'home'/Should I expect to?

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

I believe Paul Theroux said something along the lines of the difference between a tourist and a traveler is the latter "feels homesick for a place they've never been." Maybe what we feel homesick for - even if it's imaginary and can't be reached - is the answer to all this? Scorsese played with this in his Dylan doc, No Direction Home.

'Home' is where I was born/'Home' is where my divorced parents separately live (even if they move)/I've never lived somewhere I ever felt truly 'home'/Should I expect to?

I've never felt home as comfortably as I have since I"ve married and created a space to live for my own family. In my parent's home I was always under their command & not fully able to do what I wanted when I want to do it. Sometimes when I'm taking a day off work & sleeping late - just being lazy - I"ll wake up having dreamed that my mother was telling me to get up & get going
redface.gif

I suppose there is also something to be said for the pride you feel about choosing a home & decorating it as you wish. This might be more a female sentiment though - not sure if men enjoy decorating or making improvements to their home as much as women. I think my husband enjoys the remodels - but not sure if the decorations make much difference to him
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

Thanx for answering
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the quote you putted in your post and it is funny to see how many different feelings people have when talking about what home means for them.

A little background from me to explain why home is for me as I described:
I remember that 3 yrs ago I didn't feel at home anymore at my parents because there just was not enough room for me "to be". They live relatively small and the noise of their (back then) numberous fights would reach anywhere.
All the things photography related tool so much space and I didn't have a lot of that there. My parents had a lot of room for me in their hearts but just not physically (which is not their fault though).
My ex-bf at that time where I spent quite some time, didn't make me feel at home there either because I think he was afraid to commit.
I was allowed to stay there but not as if we were living together. So I was actually traveling between 2 places but both weren't my home.

I'm living together with my current bf for almost 3 years now and he did everything to make me feel his place as my home which gives me the ability to build on something and expand. That feels like my home.

Sorry for the somewhat long post about something probably noone is interested in but okay, Ill just hit the reply-button anyways
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back