What is everybody's favorite Solid State Headphone Amp?
Dec 30, 2022 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

Saberpunch

100+ Head-Fier
My New Year resolution for 2023 is to find a great SS Amp to add to my chain. I've been reading a lot of SS Amp threads like the new Bliss, Zahl HM1, some Schiit, etc etc, but honestly been more interested in the SS amps that were released years ago. The SS amps I really interested in buying 2023 is the Mass Kobo 394 II, Aurorasound Heada, Bakoon HDA-5210MK4, and the unreleased NITSCH DSHA-3FN.

I want to know what everyone's favorite SS Amp is and what headphones you pair it with. Trying to get influence on what SS Amp to buy :darthsmile:

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 92
Vioelectric HPA V281. Excellent on all headphones that I own (see ‘signature’). PS, nice DAC, @Saberpunch ! I own the Mojo Audio Mystique EVO Pro Level. 😊

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 92
My New Year resolution for 2023 is to find a great SS Amp to add to my chain. I've been reading a lot of SS Amp threads like the new Bliss, Zahl HM1, some Schiit, etc etc, but honestly been more interested in the SS amps that were released years ago. The SS amps I really interested in buying 2023 is the Mass Kobo 394 II, Aurorasound Heada, Bakoon HDA-5210MK4, and the unreleased NITSCH DSHA-3FN.

I want to know what everyone's favorite SS Amp is and what headphones you pair it with. Trying to get influence on what SS Amp to buy :darthsmile:
Good choice with Mass Kobo and Bakoon, but if Onkyo are your only headphone then I would go for Mass Kobo. Bakoon's expertise is for planar headphones.

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 92
I'm also looking for a top tier SS HPA to partner my OTL HPA. I simply cannot justify the cost of the Zähl HM1, so will probably slum it with the Holo Audio Bliss 🤣

I did look into the Nitsch DSHA-3FN a few months ago. That looks very interesting.

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 92
I have had the Tom Christian Audio HA-1 for a few months. Flawless sound and great design/build. I use both the XLR and RCA inputs. I appreciate the gain settings having a 0 gain. My sources have high outputs. I have a RSA Raptor OTL amp but it is packed with gain and I rarely turn the volume past 9 o’clock.

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 92
Vioelectric HPA V281. Excellent on all headphones that I own (see ‘signature’). PS, nice DAC, @Saberpunch ! I own the Mojo Audio Mystique EVO Pro Level. 😊
Nice to see another Mystique Evo brother although I only got the basic version. I may email Ben to upgrade it to the pro in the future once I find a good music server. I heard magical things about the V281. That’s why I’m interested in the Aurorasound Heada since it’s also a magical sounding SS with a warm tube sound.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 92
Dynamight. But Headamp GSX2 for mere mortals.

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 92
Good choice with Mass Kobo and Bakoon, but if Onkyo are your only headphone then I would go for Mass Kobo. Bakoon's expertise is for planar headphones.
I’m currently have the Caldera and is planning to try the Final Audio D8000 one day so I wanted to get a planar headphone amp as well. I actually discovered the Bakoon HDA-5210MK4 thanks to your thread. Great job on the latest post, it was a great read 😊

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 92
I’m currently have the Caldera and is planning to try the Final Audio D8000 one day so I wanted to get a planar headphone amp as well. I actually discovered the Bakoon HDA-5210MK4 thanks to your thread. Great job on the latest post, it was a great read 😊
Glad it was helpful! Final D8000 does pair nicely with Bakoon, though to be honest, I found it actually pairs better with tube amps.

Can't speak for Caldera, but would certainly be interested in how it pairs with Bakoon. One you should actually check out - not least because Zach from ZMF is a fan - is Sparkos Labs Aries. That paired really nicely with VC when I had it, so possibly also Caldera. Really an overlooked amp, IMO.

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 92
I have had the Tom Christian Audio HA-1 for a few months. Flawless sound and great design/build. I use both the XLR and RCA inputs. I appreciate the gain settings having a 0 gain. My sources have high outputs. I have a RSA Raptor OTL amp but it is packed with gain and I rarely turn the volume past 9 o’clock.
What kind of headphone you like pairing it with? It looks like it would work great with sensitive impedance headphones.

Dec 30, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 92
Glad it was helpful! Final D8000 does pair nicely with Bakoon, though to be honest, I found it actually pairs better with tube amps.

Can't speak for Caldera, but would certainly be interested in how it pairs with Bakoon. One you should actually check out - not least because Zach from ZMF is a fan - is Sparkos Labs Aries. That paired really nicely with VC when I had it, so possibly also Caldera. Really an overlooked amp, IMO.
The Sparkos Labs Aries looks interesting 🤔
There is a review that says the Aries can drive from sensitive iems to high impedance while keeping a black background and a clean sound. That’s good for my sensitive Onkyo and about to have soon have Sony MA900.

Dec 30, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #12 of 92
I only had a chance to test a few.
Now im stuck on my Burson

Dec 30, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 92
The Sparkos Labs Aries looks interesting 🤔
There is a review that says the Aries can drive from sensitive iems to high impedance while keeping a black background and a clean sound. That’s good for my sensitive Onkyo and about to have soon have Sony MA900.
Absolutely, it's perfect with IEMs. Very black background. Drop Andrew a line, nice chap, and will answer any questions you have.

Dec 30, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 92
My favorite SS amp that is Not astronomical in price is the Nitsche Piety. After that, i am a huge advocate of using speakers amps as headphone amps...

So All time best SS amp for me goes to the real Dartzeel NHB-108. i can count the SS amps on one hand that ive heard that can do the imaging, layering, and most importantly correct Tone/timbre at the power levels of SS >150+watts.

gXty6eKm.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #15 of 92
My favorite SS amp that is Not astronomical in price is the Nitsche Piety. After that, i am a huge advocate of using speakers amps as headphone amps...

So All time best SS amp for me goes to the real Dartzeel NHB-108. i can count the SS amps on one hand that ive heard that can do the imaging, layering, and most importantly correct Tone/timbre at the power levels of SS >150+watts.

gXty6eKm.jpg
I google the Dartzeel NHB-108 amp and that looks insane 👀
I click on the first review page I see and they said the price is $18,181, now that's summit fi! The most expensive/good SS headphone amp I heard people talk about is the Oji Special BDI DC-44B GT, but yours is definitely the best looking.

1672439086874.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back