What is "DSD/DSD512" that some DACs have?
Mar 2, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #16 of 24
Mimby, sorry. Modi multibit. Just a confusing nickname like the other Schiit multibits, Yggy, Gumby, Bimby? But it is $249 not $99 like the DS version.
I'm not sure a $99 DAC will be better than the DAC in the sound card of your computer or in a media player. Also think if you want something just for the desk at home or if you need something to take with you as well. Also some options may be better alternatives (more bang for the buck) where you live than others (taxes, distribution, etc), and if buying new think about the cost if you need to ship to execute the warranty. Maybe taking some time to see what is available locally, new and used, and read the forums for comparative reviews is the best option for now.
Playing from the smartphone to the Magni 3 may not be that bad. I carry a Chord Mojo to the office because the DAC in my computer isn't very good but my daughter has a 2017 MacBook Pro and I don't see much reason to use an external DAC with her computer, makes much more difference playing from iTunes or Audirvana in that case.
Well i live in Israel.
I have a problem specifically with Schiit.com duo to the fact that they use FedEx.
You see, FedEx is 40$ shipping + additional 30$ handeling costs, so before even considering the Tax, it is already 170$ for a 100$ Modi 2.
Usually shipping from the US to Israel is cheaper than to other countries, there is some sort of contract between the countries regarding the shipping rates, and Customs.
For example - All packages that come from the US, are first in line compared to other countries.
Even if there is a package from lets say Germany waiting for over a week, the US will get processed in a single day or two at max.
So usually shipping is not expensive either, Massdrop is 5-15$, Amazon is usually 10-15$.
USPS is like 30$.

My motherboard has ALC1150 which is considered top of the line PC DAC+AMP for a mobo.
Thing is, when i listen to Jazz and Blues, i have to turn up the Magni quite a bit, (Windows sound is 75%) and Magni does most of the work (Magni 3).
I hear quite a lot of distortion noise in the background.
So i am thinking a dedicated DAC Unit will fix that.
Also the system built in DAC is usually very bright, i do not want that.
I know that the SMSL Sanskrit is bright and a little bit lacking in Bass.
But what about the SMSL Sanskrit Pro, which is a whole different build structure, and it has the same chip as Modi 2/2U.
It also has all the outputs, and even bluetooth.
(Speaking of "Panda stack" but just DAC only in my case).
And theres also the ODAC which i found for like 75$ second hand, considering that too (can find Modi 2 for 75$ too).

Modi 2 U is a problem to find in second hand, because that Unit requires power adapter, my outlet is 230V and almost everyone who sells has the 115V module.

And yeah, Panda SMSL Sanskrit Pro is maybe 140$ base price, but free shipping and well, not a problem for the store to type in a fake price tag, so also no Tax.

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #17 of 24
Just to checking, but is your Magni 3 connected to the headphone-out or line-out of your PC? If it's on the headphone out, you're double amping, and the distortion and noise you're hearing is potentially from the on-board's amp module rather than DAC.

In terms of the brightness, you may be able to EQ some of that away.

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #18 of 24
Just to checking, but is your Magni 3 connected to the headphone-out or line-out of your PC? If it's on the headphone out, you're double amping, and the distortion and noise you're hearing is potentially from the on-board's amp module rather than DAC.

In terms of the brightness, you may be able to EQ some of that away.
Ofcourse it is being double amped.
There is no way to disable the onboard amp.

Mar 7, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #23 of 24
I didn't hear a difference with DACs until I spent 1300 on a gumby. I had a mimby, and it didn't sound any better than my sound card. Save your money for something great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back