What is Digital Output and why does it improve Sound Quality??
May 12, 2015 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

theuprising

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I just have the weirdest predicament and no one seems to know the answer.

In Laptop's control panel, my playback devices include Speakers and Realtek Digital Output. Realtek Audio Manager says they both output via the headphone port, and my headphones are recognized as "Speakers". 

Ok, all is fine, if I enable "Speakers," my headphones work, but if I enable "Realtek Digital Output" and put it at high volume, I SWEAR my Sound Quality is increased. Even dramatically so. My resonant and bloated JVC s680 starts to have articulate and tighter bass. The Control Panel shows nothing is being outputted by Realtek Digital Output when music is playing, unlike the "Speakers." But the difference is night and day. Is this Amping my headphones? Is this safe?

If anyone could shine some insight it would be greatly appreciated, because so far on several sites, I got nothing! Thanks ahead of time!

May 12, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 5
I would guess that it is just doing some DSP. Do you have any EQ or other processing enabled in the Realtek audio manager? Try unchecking the enable audio enhancements box in the playback device properties advanced tab.

Maybe you just think the sound quality is increased because you put it at high volume. If your gonna compare two settings, make sure they're the same loudness first.

It's not doing anything unsafe, unless you just turn it up too loud.

May 12, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 5
  I would guess that it is just doing some DSP. Do you have any EQ or other processing enabled in the Realtek audio manager? Try unchecking the enable audio enhancements box in the playback device properties advanced tab.

Maybe you just think the sound quality is increased because you put it at high volume. If your gonna compare two settings, make sure they're the same loudness first.

It's not doing anything unsafe, unless you just turn it up too loud.

Hey thanks for the reply! Hmm... I'll show you pictures if you want, maybe I wasn't clear enough.

-I keep my system volume relatively low. 

-Turning the "Volume" on Realtek Digital Output on high does not make anything louder. It doesn't do anything but seemingly increase sound quality, the higher the better it gets.

-Neither Speakers nor Realtek Digital Output have any "enhancements" on. I have EqualizerAPO installed if that matters. Speakers are set as the default device, if Digital Output is set as default my headphones don't work.

May 12, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 5
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but it's generally better to keep the digital volume at max to decrease flaws in the audio signal. Generally, it's better to control the volume using analog. So,ething to do with distortion if I remember correctly :)

I'll post the link if I find the article I got it from.

May 28, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 5
This is still blowing my mind. With it on, soundstage+instrument separation increase, as does clarity, but this makes the 10kHz peak on my A900x almost unbearable. Everything sounds more "digital" even with all these increases, so it may not be amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back