What is clipping and will it break my headphones
Sep 20, 2015 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Purekek

New Head-Fier
i got my sennheiser hd600's around last month and so far i LOVE them , every other sound not coming from it sounds like garbage to me now which is good and bad i guess.
anyway, i want to listen to some binaural beats but i saw that one of the frequencies goes down to 1.05 Hz and ive heard that it can do something called clipping if your amp or headphones cant go down that low or something similar.
long story short i dont know anything about this and i want to know if i will break my new found prized possession by listening to this for a couple of hours.

my amp is the asgard 2 and the frequency response is 
: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-400KHz, -3dB

and the frequency response for the hd600's is: 12 - 39000 Hz

if any of that helps-

thanks for replying 
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 11
anyway, i want to listen to some binaural beats but i saw that one of the frequencies goes down to 1.05 Hz and ive heard that it can do something called clipping if your amp or headphones cant go down that low or something similar.

I've never heard that.

Clipping occurs when an amp is over driven from running the volume and gain too loud. Frequencies that low are not likely to be played by the amp at all.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 11
Your headphones can only break if they are crazily overpowered, e.g. through a speaker amp or something. Clipping will never break them. 

And I don't think any headphone in the world can reproduce 1.05 HZ. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 11
The beat frequency is not actually a frequency produced by the headphone, it is perceived in your mind as a result of the headphone producing slightly different frequencies in each ear. For example, the headphone will actually produce something like 50Hz in one ear and 51Hz in the other ear to give a 1Hz beat frequency. The headphone and amp should both be perfectly capable of the 50Hz signal without clipping or breaking, so long as you don't set it to a crazy volume.

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 11
  i got my sennheiser hd600's around last month and so far i LOVE them , every other sound not coming from it sounds like garbage to me now which is good and bad i guess.
long story short i dont know anything about this and i want to know if i will break my new found prized possession by listening to this for a couple of hours.

my amp is the asgard 2 and the frequency response is 
: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-400KHz, -3dB

and the frequency response for the hd600's is: 12 - 39000 Hz

if any of that helps-

thanks for replying 
biggrin.gif

Note that the beats are a phenomenon of your hearing, not of the sound reproduction by the headphones. That is, if you play 310Hz in one ear and 300Hz in the other ear, the headphones drivers are playing that; they see no 10Hz beat. What clipping does is flatten the tops of waveforms, essentially making what you hear more like a square wave. Loud square waves will hurt your ears from volume before they hurt your headphones.

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 11
I've never heard that.

Clipping occurs when an amp is over driven from running the volume and gain too loud. Frequencies that low are not likely to be played by the amp at all.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Your headphones can only break if they are crazily overpowered, e.g. through a speaker amp or something. Clipping will never break them. 

And I don't think any headphone in the world can reproduce 1.05 HZ. 

The beat frequency is not actually a frequency produced by the headphone, it is perceived in your mind as a result of the headphone producing slightly different frequencies in each ear. For example, the headphone will actually produce something like 50Hz in one ear and 51Hz in the other ear to give a 1Hz beat frequency. The headphone and amp should both be perfectly capable of the 50Hz signal without clipping or breaking, so long as you don't set it to a crazy volume.

So I obviously have the definition of clipping wrong, but just to be sure- no damage will be caused by playing this sound right ? And have you done it before with no bad results?

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #7 of 11
So I obviously have the definition of clipping wrong, but just to be sure- no damage will be caused by playing this sound right ? And have you done it before with no bad results?

Just tried it and I didn't die, nor did my headphones. At 50L+51R I hear a 1s amplitude modulation, but that's about it.

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 11
Saw a lot of neat information here in this thread, but some hedging around the edges when it comes to a definition of clipping.  Clipping is when the amplified signal from a source exceeds the voltage capability of the amplifier.  On an oscilloscope, this is easy to demonstrate and quite illustrative.  A signal input at a given frequency can be rendered at the output of amplification by a scope.  The signal can be adjusted so that it appears as a perfect sine wave -

fig129_01.jpg

Every music signal can be represented this way; music in its entirety is a collection of sine waves at different frequencies.  Anyway, when the signal clips - e.g., when the amplification results in a signal wave that exceeds the amplifier's ability to provide voltage, then the tops and/or bottoms of those waves get "clipped", just as if someone sawed the tops off of the peaks.  The result is that the signal output is very heavily distorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back