what is bitrate resolution of apple home sharing w apple tv?
Mar 5, 2014 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Falcon10275

New Head-Fier
I have not been able to find any real info online, Apple keeps everything so secret. There doesn’t appear to be any status or info that I can grab off the apple tv.

my question deals with digital audio. Let's say I have a raw WAV file on my home PC from a CD at 1411 kbps 44100 Hz. I want my expensive receiver to do the Digital to Analog conversion and play on my expensive speaker in my living room. I plug my Apple TV box into my receiver using a digital optical cable. I then go into apple TV and find the song on my computer and play. 

The apple TV looks like it is streaming the song, is it doing it at the original full resolution on 1411 kbps or am I falling into lossy compression and having it drop down to something like 256kbps or 192 kbps? is there any way to tell?

Would I be better off using a PS3 where I know that machine has an info panel that you can see exactly what is going on?

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 2
In the end you're still sending your receiver digital information. The receiver will still do the digital to analog conversion. The only thing the Apple TV is doing is decoding the WAV audio file and sending it your receiver as PCM. Your digital optical cable is able to send up to 3.1mb/s of stereo audio through the cable so as long as the audio bitrate isn't higher than that you should be fine. It shouldn't be transcoding the audio to a lesser bitrate unless you have it set up that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back