What is best triflange to use with Westone UM2?
Jun 16, 2005 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Nick B

Head-Fier
I bit the bullet and ordered the UM2s, and I'M PSYCHED! In the meantime, I have read many favorable reviews of their use with triflanges. The Westone site carries no such tips, so I was wondering which triflange works the best with the UM2, and perhaps, a preferred site to from which to order? As always, thanks for the help.

Nick B

Jun 16, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 15
Since getting my UM2's about 8 months ago, I've almost exclusively used modified Shure triple-flange tips purchased from discountheadphones.com. I do enjoy using the comply tips, but I do most of my listening when working out, and the comply tips were just getting trashed, falling apart, and such. The tri-flanges are MUCH more durable. UM2's are really great, IMHO. Enjoy.

Jun 16, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 15
Have you tried the Ety triflanges, Uncle b? You can get 5 pairs for just a bit more coin. I may do some mods to make them fit better, so it would be nice to have some extras.

Nick B

Jun 16, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 15
I have used the Ety tri-flange, and cut off about 1/16" of the stalk, but by far, the best fit and best sound is by ordering the Westone #56 custom inserts. It is the best money I have ever spent! Sound and fit are great. You forget they are even in your ears. Individual audiologists vary in their price quotes, check several. I saved about $50 over MSRP.

Jun 16, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 15
btw ipodlounge has an earphonesolutions.com $20 coupon for the Westone UM2s, I tried it and works -total is $309 + free shipping, taxes in FL only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick B
I may eventually try them, RiderCoach. Right now, I just want to pay for the phones. So I'm looking to try the triflanges.

BTW, have you read this thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63737 ? Makes me wonder how "hit and miss" the custom inserts are....

Nick B

Jun 16, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 15
I've tried a variety of different tips. The best I've found are modified Ety tri-flanges. I mod them by cutting off the top, smallest flange, leaving the last 2 and a bit of stalk protruding from the 2d (now first) flange to cover up the plastic sound tube leading to the driver. The reason for the mod is that the Ety sound tube is longer than the Westone's, and if you leave the flanges as they are, the top flange isn't sitting on anything, and will probably close itself off from the pressure of your ear canal.

The sound is improved - the bass is tamed (somewhat, there's still tons of it), the highs are brought out and extended. The midrange is a bit recessed, but that's more the fault of the UM2's sound signature rather than the tips.

Nick, I think you're going to enjoy them. A whole lot. There isn't a better canalphone out there without going custom, or including the Stax 001, which isn't right for your needs. Also, they really don't stick out at all from your ears - with the modded Ety tips especially, so I don't think you'll have any helmet-induced problems.

HOWEVER!

You should take all my advice with a grain of salt, and experiment with many different types of tips to find out what sounds best for you. Everyone's ears are different, and different people will need different tips to achieve the same seal and sound! The Ety tri-flanges work for a lot of people, but they don't work for everyone.

As far as where to order them from... That depends, really. Headroom - www.headphone.com - is as reliable as a vendor gets. Try them. I don't know if their prices are the best.

[Edit: one last thing... the UM2 is the type of phone that sounds it's best really loud. They aren't all that detailed, or rather, in order to get at their detail, you have to crank them up. They have a fairly large headstage and a spacious sound, and they do sound a lot like a good pair of full-size headphones, hence, you'll want to turn them up more and more. Do watch the volume - they're also sensitive as all hell, and will play a lot louder on the same gain setting than any other headphone that I've had.]

Jun 16, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 15
Ety or shure triflanges, it doesn't really matter. The shure triflanges are longer, but most people cut them anyway. I say go with the ety's just because you get more for about the same price, in case you mess up one of them. I messed up my one shure tip and had to reorder.

Jun 16, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #9 of 15
My vote goes for the Shure tips, slightly cut back stalks. I've yet to need a replacement for tri-flange tips as they don't really wear in any way (maybe discolor a little). I just found the placement of the tube in the canal with Shure tips to sound better than the Ety ones. IIRC, tube was much deeper in with Ety tips.

Jun 16, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 15
Not wanting to deprive myself of any options, I ordered BOTH. One pair Sure and 5 pairs Ety. So I can mod away and have a spare, or two. i just wanted to thank you all again. Your guidance has been top notch. I KNOW I'm going to love them. I will definitely post my impressions once they arrive.

My source is a real hack job, but one I'm proud of. I bought one of those MuVo2s off ebay that had its 4 gig hard drive removed. I then installed a 1 gig flash memory. Now I have a device that laughs at wind buffeting. It chortles at engine vibration. It guffaws at pot holes. In short, it is completely skip proof, regardless of how badly the rider is being beaten
biggrin.gif
. Take care.

Nick B

Jun 17, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 15
From what I'm reading, you can adapt Shure or Ety flanged earpieces with good results. But how about adapting from standard earplugs like these?

http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/Flange.jpg

These and similar models should be available at any Rite-Aid or Walgreen's. They have US gov't isolation ratings of 24 - 25, and lots of mod-able stalk area. (The centers are hollow.) Has anyone tried adapting these cheap ($2.00), soft flanges for the UM-2?

confused.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick B
Not wanting to deprive myself of any options, I ordered BOTH. One pair Sure and 5 pairs Ety. So I can mod away and have a spare, or two. i just wanted to thank you all again. Your guidance has been top notch. I KNOW I'm going to love them. I will definitely post my impressions once they arrive.

My source is a real hack job, but one I'm proud of. I bought one of those MuVo2s off ebay that had its 4 gig hard drive removed. I then installed a 1 gig flash memory. Now I have a device that laughs at wind buffeting. It chortles at engine vibration. It guffaws at pot holes. In short, it is completely skip proof, regardless of how badly the rider is being beaten
biggrin.gif
. Take care.

Nick B

Nice. I haven't noticed any skipping with my Zen Micro, but I don't lead quite as, um... active... a lifestyle
cool.gif
And when I do, I take the thing out.

One issue though: You'll have to encode your music in 192k or higher (160k for ogg), preferably in lossless but 320k will be fine. The UM2 is a pretty revealing headphone. If you want to have any semblance of soundstage, then 192k is the minimum you should use.

You'll see what I mean soon enough though
cool.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HF00
btw ipodlounge has an earphonesolutions.com $20 coupon for the Westone UM2s, I tried it and works -total is $309 + free shipping, taxes in FL only.

Can you direct me to said coupon? I did some searching but I can't find it.

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #15 of 15
I have a rather silly question to ask.
I currently use a pair of e2c's with a dying cable, and I use the small flex tips with them. Im considering to buy the um2's but Im not keen on the foam tip concept. I have a pair of er6's and I found the biflange tips didn't really feel all that comfortable all the time...

so here's my question (finally), if I use the small flex tips on my e2c's and I go and buy a pair of shure soft tips for the um2's what size do I pick? small or medium?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back