What is bass rolloff?
Jan 15, 2004 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

pomegranate

100+ Head-Fier
I've seen it mentioned here and on ipodlounge that the iPod has bass rolloff. What is it? Is it just a fancy way of saying that songs played through the iPod lose bass? Details please

Jan 15, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by pomegranate
I've seen it mentioned here and on ipodlounge that the iPod has bass rolloff. What is it? Is it just a fancy way of saying that songs played through the iPod lose bass? Details please

that's bs bout the iPod, IMO.

if you want to hear bass rolloff, grab a pair of Ety ER4S and any source.

Jan 16, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 17
Well, whilst I don't claim to be an audiophile, I'm using Shure E2s, plus euPod volumebooster, and it sounds pretty damn good to me...good bass and clear. I encode AAC at 224kbps

Anyway...what IS bass rolloff?

Jan 16, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by pomegranate

Anyway...what IS bass rolloff?

It is where the bass response falls gradually below a certain frequency. As the bass gets lower the base energy deteriorates.

Jan 16, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 17
Bass is "rolled off" in the sense that the bass is not chopped off completely (so you hear no bass at all).

Disagree about Etys rolling off bass - the bass notes are there (I've used them recording bass guitar), there's just no punch or air so you don't feel it as with full sized 'phones. Total personal preference call.

Jan 16, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
that's bs bout the iPod, IMO.

if you want to hear bass rolloff, grab a pair of Ety ER4S and any source.

The first is true. I laughed my ass off at the second.

I've got an 3rd-gen iPod before me now, running firmware 2.1. I have no experience with previous firmware, but there's no detectable roll-off with my cheap-ass 16 Ohm phones.

Now my ER-4Ss are a totally different matter ...
tongue.gif

Edit: Obviously, I have no loss of bass with my definitely-not-cheap-ass cans. And, yes, that includes the ER-4S.

Jan 16, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 17
pomegranate: It's true, but it's nothing to worry much about, as it goes for ~ 95 % of the portables players out there: When driving a typical portable headphone load of usually 16 or 32 Ohm, the frequency response graph will show a slight rolloff of ~ -3 to -6 dB at the bottom end - whereas you usually get the desired straight line, when connecting a line-level load.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 16, 2004 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 17
I believe Bass Rolloff is a delicious Russian seafood dish.

Jan 16, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 17
_.,+$*^*$+,._ <<< my crappy ass picture of a spectrum analyzer.
Ok, the left part represents the bass, and the right part, treble. (Imagination here, people... please..)
Notice how the more left (deeper) it is, the less power is sent out.

Jan 16, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 17
Sczervok: Nice idea. But you're depicting a bass and treble rolloff. Bass rolloff alone should look more like this: _.-------------
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 16, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by faustian bargain
follow this link for some measurements of iPod's sound quality. the first graph clearly shows its bass rolloff, (therefore it's NOT 'BS', however you may not be able to hear it)although from the (dock) lineout it's pretty minor.

If you actually read the page you'll see weather or not you actually hear the bass rolloff depends on load...it's not a problem for cans with more resistance.

Jan 16, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by faustian bargain
follow this link for some measurements of iPod's sound quality. the first graph clearly shows its bass rolloff, (therefore it's NOT 'BS', however you may not be able to hear it)although from the (dock) lineout it's pretty minor.

Do we know what firmware that is though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back