What is a "shunt" in TRS jack?
Nov 15, 2008 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Navyblue

Headphoneus Supremus
Yea, what is it?
biggrin.gif

The example is at the link below, 12B has no shunt, 13B has a single shunt and, and 14B has double shunt.

http://www.switchcraft.com/products/..._schematic.pdf

Is it some sort of mechanism to prevent short circuit when inserting or pulling out the plug?

And how do I hook it up if I end up getting one?

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 8
These are normally-closed connections that open when you plug something into the jack. This is how stereos that turn off the speakers when you plug in headphones typically work: the signal to the speakers goes through these normally-closed connections, and gets broken when the headphone plug gets inserted.

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am building a headphone amp that would also double as a pre amp. Does the connection to headphone passes through some sort of switch mechanism, which would possibly degrade sound at the headphone end? I would care a little less if the degradation goes to the speaker end.

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 8
Well, any additional contacts in the signal path and the extra wire length required to get the signal to go through the jack instead of direct to the back panel can degrade the sound. This is a purist's perspective. Another way to look at it is, how else will you get the effect you want if not by using an NC-jack? You can't get something for nothing.

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 8
Congrats on your 5000th post.
biggrin.gif

I agree with you, many convenience comes with a price, it is up to one to decide if something is worth it.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's not something that I actually look for, I stumbled on it while I was looking for a good headphone jack, preferably an isolated one. Many here seems to like the Neutrik locking jack, but I sort of prefer to yank the headphone plug off the amp, rather than with it.
biggrin.gif
So far I what I got are the basic models of Switchcraft and the Neutrik, any suggestion would be appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, any additional contacts in the signal path and the extra wire length required to get the signal to go through the jack instead of direct to the back panel can degrade the sound.

Actually, the headphone output comes straight from the pins right? Only the secondary output(closed position) signal goes through the switch and extra length of wire iirc.

edit - nvm.. I see what you meant, but NavyBlue didn't care about the signal going to the back-panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back