what is a good DAC in the $900-1000 range?
Aug 5, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 26

Two very good choices would be a Wyred4Sound DAC-1, or an Audio-GD Ref 5.

X2 for the Ref5; I've it since two weeks and I'm deeply impressed by it, it seems to do everything right: dynamics, tonality, soundstage, detail... I love it!

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 26

Quote:
Do you need USB?  

Are you opposed to used?

Is space an issue?

Yes I need USB, I will be plugging the RCA from the matrix M-Stage into the DAC, and that into the USB port of my laptop. I have absolutely no problem with used, as long as it continues working.

Space is not a problem.

PS: I dont know a lot about this, like the sampling part, 96KB sampling for darker tones etc, I have no clue.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 26
A used Cullen modified PS Audio DLIII would definitely be in your price range.  Here's one...http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1285084317&/PS-Audio-digital-link-iii-cull

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #7 of 26
Benchmark DAC1 USB - used should be no more than $900.  Quite possibly will sound better direct to your phones than even using your headphone amp (which maybe will free up some more cash!)

FA

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 26
I would say go with a used DAC as you will get more value for your money.  At that price range people take very good care of their components.
I would say go for a S/Pdif input DAC, you can add a USB based source if you want USB. 
The S/Pdif input gives you more options for higher quality S/Pdif sources.
Just an opinion.

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 26

Quote:
A used Cullen modified PS Audio DLIII would definitely be in your price range.  Here's one...http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1285084317&/PS-Audio-digital-link-iii-cull

+1 on this.  I have a PSIII + Stage III Cullen modifications and it is very, very nice.

Aug 6, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 26

Quote:
I would say go with a used DAC as you will get more value for your money.  At that price range people take very good care of their components.
I would say go for a S/Pdif input DAC, you can add a USB based source if you want USB. 
Just an opinion.

what is a S/Pdif input DAC? Where can I get one?

Aug 6, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
what is a S/Pdif input DAC? Where can I get one?

S/Pdif basically means toslink or coaxial.  As a general principle, at that price range, you're not going to get your money's worth from using USB as your connection method.  There are a multitude of problems with most USB receiver chips (clock/jitter issues, capped at 16/48, etc).

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
Just an opinion.

Yes, I agree that looking at a used, well reviewed DAC from a few years ago would be a great way to go too.  That's why I asked if USB was necessary.  

How would you recommend hooking up the Coax (which conventional wisdom would say is the way to go - http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm) to the USB?

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
Yes, I agree that looking at a used, well reviewed DAC from a few years ago would be a great way to go too.  That's why I asked if USB was necessary.  

How would you recommend hooking up the Coax (which conventional wisdom would say is the way to go - http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm) to the USB?

Would a digital audio cable enable me to? How would it?

I have Headphones> Matrix-M Stage Amp> RCA Cables> Nu-Force U-DAC> Computer (through NuForce USB cable), where would the digital audio cable/coaxial fit in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back