what is a good audio to digital converter?
Oct 18, 2022 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Atavax

100+ Head-Fier
I want a good mic to use for my computer, but really haven't been able to find any good sources for analog to digital converters and i don't want a crappy usb mic.

Oct 18, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 8
I think you mean an audio interface. I don't have any experience with them but the Focusrite Scarlett comes up for sale used pretty often.

Oct 25, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 8
Focusrite Scarlet is often recommended, not the best but very popular. Ive had Focusrite Scarlet gen 3, too much noise in the headphone output for me. Audient Evo 4 is brilliant, even has a powerful and clean Headphone amp. Then its just a mic, loads to pick from depending on budget.

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 8
but really haven't been able to find any good sources for analog to digital converters
Pretty much all ADCs these days are audibly perfect, from $50 examples up to $5k+. The main difference between them is functionality, such as number of ADC channels, format output, etc., and peripheral functionality, such a mic pre-amp or HP output quality. Focusrite models are perfectly adequate, so are some of the Behringer models, should be available on Amazon.

G

Oct 26, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 8
Motu, Focusrite are well known for audio interfaces. If you want an AIO (AD/DA) device look for RME's ADI-2 Pro FS or ADI-2/4 Pro SE

Oct 26, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 8
If you want an AIO (AD/DA) device look for RME's ADI-2 Pro FS or ADI-2/4 Pro SE
That’s very expensive and impractical. The basic analogue to digital conversion won’t be audibly better and the OP would need to buy a separate mic pre-amp. The cheaper Motu or focusrite units should be more than good enough.

G

Feb 11, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #8 of 8
I want a good mic to use for my computer, but really haven't been able to find any good sources for analog to digital converters and i don't want a crappy usb mic.
Find the mic and the rest will follow(measurement mics aren't typically podcast stuff or singers' mics). There are USB mics(with the ADC inside the mic), but mostly you'll see good old mics with an XLR cable, you get any of the popular brands of ADC already mentioned and it will work well.
Then if you wish to go crazy with the headphone or speaker amp, you can just forget about the output on the ADC and get anything you like/need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back