What is a decent amp with spdif in? Does not need to be portable.
Nov 30, 2014 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

k2snowboards88

Head-Fier
I'm looking for an amp with a spdif input for use with my macbook being used as a desktop. What are some good options? I don't want to go over $150 and less is better. It doesn't need to be amazing, just significantly better than the built in audio. Also, are there any options with dolby headphone? I might be willing to pay more for an amp with that. 

edit: I'm in the us. I see a couple of options available in the UK, but nothing in the US.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 8
Really? That's surprising. I think the paid (not free) versions of PowerDVD for the PC have Dolby Headphone, and I just assumed the Mac would always have better A/V capability than the PC. :p

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 8
Well, I guess I haven't looked that hard. Lack of Dolby Headphone isn't a deal breaker though. I'm not finding much though. the e17 could be ok, but I can't help that I would be paying for a lot of features that I"m not using in a desktop situation. 

perhaps http://www.amazon.com/TC-7510-Converter-Headphone-Amplifier-Audiophile/dp/B006AA217E is a good choice. 

edit: Actually it has some pretty bad reviews. The baresford model has good reviews, but yet again is only available in Europe...

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 8
You could just use USB and forget the SPDIF. That opens up more options.

Or, maybe something like the Soundblaster Omni or the Soundblaster X-Fi HD?

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 8
I ended up getting an open box Fostex HP-A3. It was more than I wanted to spend, but oh well. It seemed like a good deal. http://www.headphone.com/collections/dacs/products/fostex-hp-a3-b-stock

One reason I didn't want usb is because I've experienced noise from usb connected audio devices with some pcs. The other reason is that I've had another device go unsupported and it's now a paperweight. That's unlikely to happen with these more standard devices, but you never know. The Fostex is powered by usb, but can accept audio in from usb or toslink. If usb is too noisy, I can hook it up to a powered, disconnected usb hub and use toslink. Maybe I won't have to. 

Now I have to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back