What influences the sound of a violin, source, amp, other?
Jan 28, 2008 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

digismurf

New Head-Fier
I'm not sure which forum to post such a question but here goes...

If I play my PentaTone SACD's of Julia Fischer in non-SACD players, the strings, namely the lead violin ranges from a smooth "pure" sound to an almost raspy more detailed sound. Oddly my car stereo has the most raspy sound...it's like you can really hear the bow sliding across the strings. Where my home/reference system and when listening via my iPod using loseless the same music has a smoother more "pure" sound, it seems to lack the raspy detail...

What causes the changes in the sound of string instruments? Is it the DAC's involved or is it amp related? Or a combination/system effect? Am I just liking the sound of poor car stereo equipment?
eek.gif

Thank you.

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by digismurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I play my PentaTone SACD's of Julia Fischer in non-SACD players, the strings, namely the lead violin ranges from a smooth "pure" sound to an almost raspy more detailed sound. Oddly my car stereo has the most raspy sound...it's like you can really hear the bow sliding across the strings. Where my home/reference system and when listening via my iPod using loseless the same music has a smoother more "pure" sound, it seems to lack the raspy detail...

What causes the changes in the sound of string instruments? Is it the DAC's involved or is it amp related? Or a combination/system effect? Am I just liking the sound of poor car stereo equipment?
eek.gif

Thank you.

The most obvious component, of course, has the most influence on sound - the speakers! I assume your car stereo speakers are quite different from your home system... unless, of course, that system consists of parking your car in the living room!
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 7
I can't speak for the source and amp, but as a violin player, I can speak for the instrument. I doubt you're interested in what can make one violin sound different from another violin, but rather, the performance aspect that a soloist will inflect upon the instrument. That my friend is called bow technique.
wink.gif
A talented and accomplished violinist can work a variety of sounds from the instrument by varying the movement of the bow on the strings.

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

eek.gif

It's a combination as you suspected. Changing any one component can alter the tonal balance of the system completely. Cheapest first, you can make large alterations by changing the cabling. Try silver interconnects and speaker cable if you are looking for a more incisive sound.

As has already been mentioned the speakers will have a huge effect, for more bite in the upper registers look for metal domed tweeters from the likes of Epos or Monitor Audio.
The amp can equally alter the balance. Naim and Cyrus amps are particularly lively especially the older ones.

But you need to rebalance the system one bit at a time until you get the sound you want, don't throw several new things into the mix at once or you'll loose track of what is influencing what.

Specific to stringed instruments like the violin also will be the difference between using period catgut or modern metal strings or even a combination of both which some players favour. The latter will obviously give a more strident metalic tonal balance to the instrument, so look for contemporary interpretations played on modern instruments.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 7
Car speakers are notoriously awful sounding. It's 100% your speakers.

See ya
Steve

Jan 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

eek.gif

Thank you.

As far as the specific question on the Fischer, my guess is that your car system has certain 'excited' frequencies or some abnormal response - due either to components (ie speakers) or the interior of the vehicle itself.

If the question was more general (which some replies seem to suggest), then I think the #1 factor is the recording itself. The hall acoustics, mic placement, type of microphone, recording equipment, mastering equipment, etc.

Jan 31, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 7
I have found the preamp in my system to have a huge effect on the sound and placement of the violins. Like there's a resonating quality in the violins sound with the Promitheus TVC preamp I had. Without it, the violins just sounded smooth and not so "violin" sounding. The placement and dynamics also was helped by the Promitheus. I could hear the change in the volume of the violins better with the Promitheus (which I equated to increase in dynamics).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back