What in the world happened?
Mar 28, 2017 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

kylea

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, so I have a bit of a conundrum here! 

Right now I have a few headphones, Phillips X2's, DT 770 (250 ohm), DT 990 Premium (32 ohm), Sennheiser DJ 7s, and a pair of Sennheiser 598s. I have a Modi 2 and Magni 2 combo to power them. 

So about 2 years ago I put my DT 990s in the closet and never got them back out, because I thought they were defective once I got my first amp, just super muddy and an extreme lack of treble. I have the DT 770 and everyone talks about how they are a super bass heavy headphone, but even with my Magni 2, I can't get that replication, which I never thought particularly of until now.

So, I recently got my Phillips X2s and as far as sound replication goes these things are Gods, but the wife isn't a fan of how open they are and we work in the same office. So I usually stick to my DT 770, well I just pulled these  DT 990s out of the closet and put my pads on them and hooked them up to my Magni turned the volume 1/3 (hi gain) and said let us see what happens! 

After not using for two years my Dt 990s.... Well, the sound was V-shaped but holy cow, the bass, and treble were equally present and loud! I feel like I purchased a comfortable pair of DJ7s (bass wise) that don't squeeze your head off. My question is when I turn the volume down on these 990s the treble goes away almost completely. I have to listen to very moderate to loud volumes for them to level out (with still a slightly muddy midsection), which would be why I threw them in the closet and thought they were broken, could there be an underlying issue or do they need a break in etc? So far these are the "most fun" headphones I own or have owned. When playing at moderate/loud volume.

Sorry for the long read, if you want a TLDR just read the last paragraph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back