What in the world........Chroma on sale? This can't be right.......
Feb 15, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #47 of 63
To echo what Morphling has been trying to get across....

I can't find the actual post at Riovolution, but a subscriber ( and I don't remember who, hows that for reliability!) said (and this is the true part) that based on reports out of Rio's shareholders meeting, no new products will be released until after March 15th at the earliest, although it looks like something is due for next Fall/Christmas Season. I'll keep looking and see if I can find it.

Basically, buy a karma and enjoy it for a while. Its a great player.

Feb 15, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #48 of 63
I have a little more detail than that but I can't reveal it basically listen to what mech and I have to say.

Feb 16, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #49 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphling
I have a little more detail than that but I can't reveal it basically listen to what mech and I have to say.

Yeah, I forgot to say this cuz I was in a hurry before, but I'm pretty sure the guy is full of it. I don't think it's a scam, I think he just doesn't know what is really going on and is making things up to rationalize and keep customers.
But I'd listen to these guys ^^^, some might actually know what they're talking about..........

Feb 16, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #50 of 63
With so much competition in this market along with the anticipation among music lovers, I feel certain Rio would have announced the Chroma's release from the highest mountain tops. Hate to be so suspicious but I still think it's a scam. Buyers don't really get "hurt" by it cause they get their money back but in sufficient volume, the orders can bring in a tidy sum via interest for 30 days....depending upon the vehicle used. If this player were out, we wouldn't be hearing about it from a vendor like this. Where's Amazon? J & R? Buy.com?? Pretty clear if you ask me.

Feb 16, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #51 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
I just noticed something on that picture - see how big the name "Rio" is? Talk about insecure, having to plaster your name in three-foot letters across the front of your DAP ... I hope the finished product doesn't look like that.

Three feet? More like half an inch.

I don't see the obsession with certain companies dipping their players in sperm before selling them either, but hey, to each their own..

Feb 16, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #52 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thisp
Three feet? More like half an inch.

I don't see the obsession with certain companies dipping their players in sperm before selling them either, but hey, to each their own..

Oh no he di'nt!
icon10.gif
Who cares about the logo size, most DAPs are in a case or pocket or bag. However, anyone wearing white phones nowadays automatically has an ipod
rolleyes.gif
Yeah, talk about insecure.

Feb 16, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #53 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by mech_e
Oh no he di'nt!
icon10.gif
Who cares about the logo size, most DAPs are in a case or pocket or bag. However, anyone wearing white phones nowadays automatically has an ipod
rolleyes.gif
Yeah, talk about insecure.

Actually my DAP spends most of its in-use time sitting on my desk, in plain sight - while looks aren't the #1 priority, I still don't want to have a heinous player, if I can avoid it. The logo on that Chroma is massive and tacky, I was just making an observation. In fact it's big enough and ridiculous enough to affect my purchase decision (then again I can't stand logo t-shirts, etc, either - it's just a personal preference) ...

Feb 16, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

In fact it's big enough and ridiculous enough to affect my purchase decision

meh... just shave it off with an xacto knife
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #55 of 63
Quote:

Actually my DAP spends most of its in-use time sitting on my desk, in plain sight - while looks aren't the #1 priority, I still don't want to have a heinous player, if I can avoid it. The logo on that Chroma is massive and tacky, I was just making an observation. In fact it's big enough and ridiculous enough to affect my purchase decision (then again I can't stand logo t-shirts, etc, either - it's just a personal preference) ...

I was more just making a joke. However, in all seriousness, I think you missed the point. The ipod itself is logo. People no longer want an mp3 player, they want an ipod, just like everyone else. In any case, it doesn't mean the ipod isn't a good player, just that its just as iconic as a little tiger or horse on a shirt, swoosh on a shoe, or roundle on a car's grill.

Feb 16, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #56 of 63
Quote:

I was more just making a joke. However, in all seriousness, I think you missed the point. The ipod itself is logo. People no longer want an mp3 player, they want an ipod, just like everyone else. In any case, it doesn't mean the ipod isn't a good player, just that its just as iconic as a little tiger or horse on a shirt, swoosh on a shoe, or roundle on a car's grill.

If it makes you feel any better this ipod dominance is only temporary. Its the model T ford of DAP's. All companies experience rapid growth when they introduce a product but soon fall well behind when they cant keep up the features, reliablity, etc. A great example of this is the current car market. once dominated by american players it is now filled with imports from japan and korea. If apple can evolve with the people they should keep their dominance but this would mean that the ipod would start having features that people (such as my self) would want or need so therefor would have no reason to buy other players (the circle scoller is just flat out genius). If on the other hand apple stays in its ruts like it usually does and chooses to change only when they want to i think the dominance of the ipod wil be relatively short lived.

and again im not trying to bash apple for no reason, this is just my opinion take it for what you will.
tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #57 of 63
Quote:

The ipod itself is logo. People no longer want an mp3 player, they want an ipod, just like everyone else. In any case, it doesn't mean the ipod isn't a good player, just that its just as iconic as a little tiger or horse on a shirt, swoosh on a shoe, or roundle on a car's grill.

I'd much rather have a swoosh or a horse or something - maybe that's why I find the Chroma so annoying - it's not a symbol, it's a name - like, they lack the creativity to come up with a clever little symbol, so they're stuck writing their name in huge letters across the front of their DAP - it's just kind of sad and pathetic, impotent. I don't think I'd buy something that demonstrates such an inferiority complex, and such a lack of creativity ...

Feb 16, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #58 of 63
Rio has major, MAJOR originality issues. their marketing is essentially non-existant. im disapointed that they dont put nearly enough effort into the looks and shape aspects of their players. the karma is fat and ugly but is just a fantasic player otherwise, the carbon is kinda sexy IMO but they use the same exact shape with different button layouts for at least 3 of their players.

Feb 16, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
This chroma stuff is starting to get old. I'm done until it really comes out. And then i'll just look, cuz i cant afford $300 anyway.
tongue.gif

werd.

Feb 16, 2005 at 10:02 AM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
Rio has major, MAJOR originality issues. their marketing is essentially non-existant. im disapointed that they dont put nearly enough effort into the looks and shape aspects of their players. the karma is fat and ugly but is just a fantasic player otherwise, the carbon is kinda sexy IMO but they use the same exact shape with different button layouts for at least 3 of their players.

Wow, your the first person I've heard to say the carbon is exact shape as the karma. The only remote similar thing with them is having a scroll wheel in the right corner, but where else can you have it?!? Ok, the nitrus is similar to the carbon, but still have their differences. We all know rio marketting sucks, but that doesn't mean they've got a worse player.

Ipod?Bah, they've designed 4 models of ipods that all look like white bricks. Very original. The mini?Just a 4G that's more curved, smaller and adodized aluminium.

Creative. Haha. They're just a load of ipod wannabes. The touch and micro?"Hmm, we can't use the scroll wheel, so let's make a scroll line". The micro is just a 3G ipod redesigned really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back