what in ear headphones should i get for up to $100?
Dec 29, 2007 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

roflcopter

New Head-Fier
Hey, I've never really considered myself an audiophile so I can't say I know much about headphones. I just listened to my girlfriend's Bose in ear headphones today and was blown away by how much better they sounded than my regular iPod headphones. I was hoping you guys could give me some recommendations on what kind of in ear headphones I should look at. I'm willing to spend anywhere up to $100, and thought I should get some opinions from people that actually know what they're talking about.

Dec 29, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 16
Dec 29, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 16
Altech Lansing im716's are great and, when on sale, can be had for ~$75...an excellent buy if you're looking for more detailed presenetation. If you're more into bass, I suggest V-moda Vibes or XtremeMac FS1's which are a bargain for less than $50 at Amazon.

Dec 29, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 16
Whoops, forgot the ~ $100 iem staple...Westone UM1

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 16
If you can afford US$100 and can buy online through Amazon.com, get the Denon AH-C700 (Now on sale at US$100). Otherwise, the other choice is the Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio, which is for sale around US$60.

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by roflcopter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so im guessing i shouldn't go with the bose in ear headphones?

Bose is usually not recommended by discerning audio fans, they generally are way over priced. They tend to boost certain frequencies while cutting out other frequencies and focus more on appearance and marketing rather then actual sound. I would say try something new, at this price point, your not killing yourself and can always return something you don't like anyway.

I love the super.fi 3's at that price, your getting good value and sound.

Dec 29, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by roflcopter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so im guessing i shouldn't go with the bose in ear headphones?

please do not. I got them as a gift and they are only slightly better than my ep-630s and not nearly as comfortable. The ety er6i's are a good all around phone, but also check out the denon c700's. On sale @ amazon for $100

Dec 31, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #12 of 16
For under $100 I would suggest these:

The Denon AH-C700 are fantastic. They are on a huge sale at Amazon for $99.99 shipped (usually $200):

Denon AH-C700

The UE Super.fi 3's are great for IEM all around. They are bulky and have to be worn over the ear. $59.99 shipped

UE Super.fi 3

The UE Metro.fi 2's are great for bass heavy rock. They are not bulky like the Super.fi series and do not go over the ear. $49.99 shipped

UE Metro.fi 2

The Crossroads MylarOne X3i are great too. The build quality is not "super" strong like the three above, but they are much better then the V-Moda. $57 shipped

Jaben.net

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #13 of 16
hey so I ended up buying the v-moda vibes, and although they are great headphones, I was slightly disappointed by their lack of base. I ended buying a pair of the Bose tri ports, although everyone says they are ****ty, and am trying both out until I decide to return one. I like the bose headphones because they have great low ends, which I have always loved.
But to the point of my question, I have finally decided that I want bass heavy headphones, but I dont want them to be ALL bass. Does anyone have any suggestions for headphones that are not only great quality, but also have alot of low end?

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #14 of 16
also, I've been looking at various headphones, and I noticed that none that I have looked at have nearly as good of a frequency response as the v-moda vibes, which are 12-22,000 Hz. Can anyone explain to me what exactly the frequency response is? Is it just the sonic range of the headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back