What I'm Thinking About Buying (Entry Level Closed Back)
Apr 7, 2023 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

khf01

New Head-Fier
So I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a few cans but I'm also looking for recommendations. Prefer sub $300 budget. Closed back. Metal and EDM listener. Removable cable is a must. And I want to replace the pads and add ones from Dekoni or Brainwaivz. Should be fairly neutral. Extended strong but not exaggerated bass is a must. I'm ok with buying used. I will be driving these with a Qudelix 5k so high impedance is fine.

Austrian Audio hi-x15
Akg k553 mkii
Audio Technica ath-m50x

Apr 10, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #5 of 10
Hi.
Given the budget, have a look into the Monoprice closed back planars as well.

Hopefully you get some more suggestions:)
Thx those look interesting. The 200 dollar ones you suggested seem to be more "at home" headphones based on construction and appearance. I want it to be rugged/ plain looking enough to where I can take it to the bus or gym

Apr 11, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 10
OK, I own the AKG K553 MKII, so I'll tell you one thing - It's not likely you'll get decent audio out of aftermarket pads. There's one set that sounds alright and those are Dekoni Platinums, which are almost the same as stock both in terms of material & size... which is why they sound the same. They're also not durable enough for bag carry in my experience, the swivels are too fragile to hold up for extended use.

The Monoprice planars lasted me for bus, running, walking, jumping, etc. use while I was homeless. They're built rather stiffly now after the M560 & M1060 fiasco, but I understand wanting to look a little more under the radar.

Maybe consider Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X? You could add black velour pads on instead of the white ones for an even more dark [and stealthy] look.

Apr 11, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #8 of 10
OK, I own the AKG K553 MKII, so I'll tell you one thing - It's not likely you'll get decent audio out of aftermarket pads. There's one set that sounds alright and those are Dekoni Platinums, which are almost the same as stock both in terms of material & size... which is why they sound the same. They're also not durable enough for bag carry in my experience, the swivels are too fragile to hold up for extended use.

The Monoprice planars lasted me for bus, running, walking, jumping, etc. use while I was homeless. They're built rather stiffly now after the M560 & M1060 fiasco, but I understand wanting to look a little more under the radar.

Maybe consider Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X? You could add black velour pads on instead of the white ones for an even more dark [and stealthy] look.
Pro x look nice a bit pricey though. Im def going with Austrian Audio and I'll compare with one other headphones probably some vmoda

Users who are viewing this thread

Back