What if?
Feb 24, 2002 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
What if you had bi-amped headphones? Run a RCA splitter off the source one amp feeds Ety 4's and the other (tube) feeds Sennheisser HD600's. Now heres the trick part. Put the HD600's over the Ety's. Now you have clean detail of the Ety's with a little dynamic bass. Maybe? This is what happens when you end up with too many amps and cans and just two ears.

Lextek
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 10
You know, there are headphone subwoofers out there... Or you can pull an AKG K1000 combo and plop a real subwoofer in there.

Honestly, I do not feel a lack of impact with the Etys (that or the CD3000s do not give me enough of an impact to notice... the Grado SR80s certianly did, but that was a while ago).

But, I think doing that with two different headphones is a bad idea, from what I've heard at least... may choke the amp, I'm not sure.

Feb 24, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 10
Uh, I tried this... and it didn't work. I mean, it worked, but it wasn't better. Some people may like it though? I don't know, but not worth buying HD600s if you have etys to try
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 10
I don't think this would work because the sound from each driver would be out of phase. If I put on a pair of 888s and my HP-1s, I get a VERY different sound depending on which way the phase switch is flipped. Usually when the phase switch is in the up position, there is a lot of treble and no bass and when in the down position, the exact opposite happens.

Feb 24, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
Isn't the AKG K340 a 6 way headphone?

it's a two way. there are five bass transducers but there's only one crossover frequency.

Philips also made a two-way headphone, but as I recall no one thought they sounded good (precious little information about the sound though).

Personally I think it's unnecessary to have two transducers when it's apparent that one transducer can work just fine. Speakers usually need multiple transducers because a loudspeaker using just one makes numerous sacrafices (yet they can still sound excellent). But from my experience, headphones make no extreme sacrafices that come from having one driver. And as we all know, when it comes to audio, the simpler the better! so headphones should probably stay using one driver if at all possible.

Feb 26, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 10
Panasonic has some 2 ways out, but I have yet to see a trustworthy review. They could be bi-amped with an electronic crossover. We won't know until someone tries. You could be the one who takes headphones to the next level. Go for it
evil_smiley.gif

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back