What if .......
Feb 27, 2006 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Rob80b

Headphoneus Supremus
What if…

I’ve been scouring the posts of late trying to decide on a new amp, possible the Lehmann BC Linear or Gilmore GS-1
But what if I find my Creek OBH-11se Rev B stands up pretty well against these new guys.
The Creeks have gotten a bad rap around here and that buyer’s remorse or worst that feeling of inadequacy which is always at the back of your mind (there is something better out there) is all but hot air.
The little guy defiantly sounds pretty good, had a few problems at the beginning, cold solder joints and what not, but after a few years she sort of just settled in.
Also, I hardwired a larger gauge power-cord, between the amp and the power supply, which also brought things up a notch.
So is a new amp going to show me what I’m missing or do I almost have it all now.
I’ve been at this audio game for a long time and so lot of hardware has gone under the bridge but nothing really revolutionary in terms of amps.
A properly executed design from thirty years ago or even more with good components, still competes with many newer designs which are basically variations on a theme.
Just a thought

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 4
I really like my Creek OBH-11SE -- so much so, I kept it, despite having some serious higher-end amps (Singlepower Supra, Wheatfield HA-02). I use it for travel.

In particular, the synergy with the DT770 is sublime.

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 4
Well, it's not the end-all/be-all in: transparency, lushness, nor detail. There's always room for improvement in those areas. The Wheatfield, for example, is far more lush; my Singlepower Supra/SDS/Somewhere-Between-The-Two is definitely more transparent; Hirsch's SDS-XLR setup is far more detailed than anything else I've heard.

I guess it depends what you want. If you're a Bassfiend, then you may want to consider AudioValve RKV.

But if it's just overall tonal balance, I think you've got it there. I guess my point is, you have to take a pretty big step before you start seeing improvements.

I have no idea what that upgrade would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back