What if the A900 and HD595 are the Same Price
Nov 30, 2005 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sl300

Head-Fier
Okay consider if these two sets of 'phones are the same price, and you already have a portable pair (in specific, eggo's) which one would u go for?

*sorry i had to disguise the thread
btw i listen to mostly hiphop
biggrin.gif

and i probably wont be buying an amp

ps. the a900's are new, the hd595's are used but in mint condition, and im leaning towards the hd595's?

Nov 30, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 14
I think that the 595s would be pretty horrible for hip hop. They lack much bass impact. I really like the A900. If having closed cans in anyway important for you, I'd go with the A900 out of those two.

If you want open headphones, I'd open up the list a bit more.

Nov 30, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 14
acs236 -- I'll let 3lusiv3 say more about HD595 and hip-hop ...

Sl300 -- grab the HD595 !!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 14
Do you know what version of the 595 you are considering? I am almost certain that the 595 come in to options 50ohm and 120ohm. If you don’t have an amp you would want to get the 595 (50 ohm) because it will be easier to drive.

I have the HD650s, SR225s and the A900. I don’t listen to the A900s as much anymore, but they are pretty strong in the Hip Hop, pop, and rap. They have the most bass, yet not the most controlled or tightest compared to my other cans. The A900s also have a very large and 3D soundstage. The highest are pretty nice too. I guess the A900 weak point would be the mids. Beyond that they are great around cans. Further, they are probably one of the best choices if you don’t have an amp because they are so easy to drive and shine to their full potential without an amp.

I assume the 595 would be more balanced, somewhat more refined, and lack a bit in the soundstage and bass as compared to the A900s.

Nov 30, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I think that the 595s would be pretty horrible for hip hop. They lack much bass impact. I really like the A900. If having closed cans in anyway important for you, I'd go with the A900 out of those two.

I guess it would depend on your tastes as far as the bass goes. Personally I prefer my 595s to my 225s (w flats) or K26P for hip hop/rap/reggae even though the other two have stronger bass with more impact. I think there are too many albums in those genres that are already mixed to be really bass heavy and using a headphone that has very strong bass makes some of it unlistenable to me. I bought the album to hear the music, not just the bass line. I've never been a big
basshead.gif
though.

Ant

Nov 30, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
acs236 -- I'll let 3lusiv3 say more about HD595 and hip-hop ...

Sl300 -- grab the HD595 !!
smily_headphones1.gif

I take it you didn't like the A900?

For the record, I don't think The A900 bass heavy, but I found the 595 to have some trouble producing bass sufficient to satisfy even my non-bass-head self.

To the OP, if you go with the 595s, I'd be sure to get the 50 ohm version.

Nov 30, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate
I guess it would depend on your tastes as far as the bass goes. Personally I prefer my 595s to my 225s (w flats) or K26P for hip hop/rap/reggae even though the other two have stronger bass with more impact. I think there are too many albums in those genres that are already mixed to be really bass heavy and using a headphone that has very strong bass makes some of it unlistenable to me. I bought the album to hear the music, not just the bass line. I've never been a big
basshead.gif
though.

Ant

well im a big hiphop head.. i listen to lyrics 100% of the time, i dont listen to reggae or dancehall/clubbing rap music, so i dont htink the base would be important

*btw it is the 50 verison

Dec 1, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 14
i picked up the hd595's but for some reason im not THAT impressed?

i dont know why maybe its because im going from eggo to open cans i prefer my eggos at some points

or maybe hiphop just isnt meant for these, im not saying their bad or what not, its just that i dont htink theyr THAT much better then eggo's

Dec 1, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 14
Welcome to the wonderful world of high end headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Give it a bit of time, if you can. Listen to them over the next couple of weeks. Burn them in (let them run continuously whenever you're not listening). Then make a decision. Sometimes it takes a while to get used to a new headphone.

But, if after that you still don't like them.....

I TOLD YOU SO!!!
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236

im not usually a bass head, but even if i am not the bass just isnt enough, i think im just used to the closed sound,

i mite just sell them off or keep them for a week, dont get me wrong their definitly better then anything else i ever used, but cot'dam i love my eggo's

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Be sure to let the HD595 burn in.
wink.gif
It'll sound great afterwards. But just as a note, the A900 has a sound signature that is much closer to the Eggos than the HD595. This difference in sound signature may be the reason for this uninspiring initial impression.
biggrin.gif

Cheers and good luck!
Venio

i bought them used there's about 200 hours on them already though, i dont think it gets much better, lol darn it maybe i should sell these and buy the a900's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back