New Head-Fier
hi im looking to get a decent pair of IEMs for mp3 listening
i have a budget of about $50 to $200 and i just don't know what to buy
right now im currently using Sennheiser CX300's which im pretty pleased with
i just want to add a whole new level to my listening experience
ill be using them with my mp3 player on a bus
and possibly on a plane
im looking for a decent bass level and quality detailed highs and mids
im quite comfortable wearing IEMs after having used my senn's for a few months now
im currently considering the Eytmotic ER6i isolator in-earphones
but is there anything better than those for my budget?
any help appreciated
thanks
fergie

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 27
sorry if i didnt mention what kind of music i listen to
i mainly listen to rock, heavy rock, bit of metal,
some dance, techno, hip hop, pop that kind of stuff
i dont really listen to that much acoustic although i have some
im not a big fan on classical but i do have some on my mp3 player
and sorry if i sound lke a bit of a **** in the title
"please help me pick earphones" i bet you've heard it a million times
tongue.gif

thanks
fergie

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 27
That''s £100 max right? Saying that, buying from the US, even with import duty gives you so many more options

They say Ety are the most detailed, but some say they lack bass. Myself, I have only heard the Shure E4C and Westone UM2 which I own (although UM1 may be more within your budget) . I wouldn't say they have "punchy" bass... more present and decent. Could do with being a bit tighter and controlled. Mids are very nice though. (That's both). I'll let others chime in once I've gone away and had a thought. You may want to check out the recently posted V-Moda Vibes review, although some say they don't isolate enough. Does isolation matter to you?

P.S. The yanks will not get "****" I think

Edit: If after searching the name dropping I've done and on advice from others, Shure E4C can be had for £117 inc del. from here. Cheapest UK price (£150 for black from play.com)

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 27
I love my E4's. I came from the E2 and i just love shure's sound. There is more bass on the e2s overall, but its uncontrolled and sloppy. The E4s have a much nicer balance of Hi-Mid-Lows.

From what i read, the Etys are wonderful for clarity..but really lack in bass. Not that there isnt any i take it, just much tighter im sure.

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 27
im not looking to import from the US, duty tax yuk! lol
no im buying within the UK
sorry about my guesswork there
im meaning to spend more like £50 to £200
i thought head-fi was american only lol
the ety's lack bass eh?
well i like my bass
i hear its all about getting the right fit with deep in-earphones
i hear more people prefer the ultimate ear for superior detail
i honestly just dont know what to get :S
thanks
fergie

EDIT: i may be willing to stretch my budget to accomodate for Ultimate Ears super.fi range
worth it?

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 27
Hi Fergie. The 6i's are very good at isolating - also very clean,clear,accurate etc etc. I think I prefer the fit of them too -but it's so much a personal thing. Like most I'd agree with the (slightly) lacking bass - at least for my tastes. One thing I did was get a headphone amp (pocketamp 2v2) - with line out from my Sony harddrive (or minidisc) into amp into 6is - much better bass - but without losing the great mid/tops. (IMHO).
Having said all that - I do also use 2 other phones. ShureE3s - fit great - good mids - but a lot say "bland" - needing more bottom and top!! Running them amped (again IMHO) makes em much better.
A week ago ( a bit of a whim ) I bought some Ultimate Ears superfi5 pros. Very much warmer/full sound lots of bass - quite opposite to Etys! ( Oddly - I still like both!! Depends if i'm travelling light or not. Amp is good -but adds to "hassle" a bit!) The superfis fit fine - sound very good (IMHO) - some would say "Look a bit ugly " - bigger than the shures and etys! ( but being 2 drivers has to be I suppose) At the end of the day once you get above the cheapish/stock phones most will be an improvement- just depends on fit and "sound" wants/likes!
PS re uk prices. I personally like to use shops if poss. I got my 6is for £60 at Inkino on Tottenham Ct Rd. The superfi5 pros are £135 at Handheldaudio. ( £35 cheaper than the Apple store price!)

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 27
i dont really want to have to lug around a portable amp with me tbh
just my personal opinion
on my mp3 player tho, it has a customisable EQ
so i can fiddle with bass levels and treble levels etc.
its a 7 band graphic equalizer, so it gives me quite a bit of play
does this chagne my options?
the super-fi's are starting to sound tempting hehe
rs1smile.gif

i want tight and punchy but warm full bass, noticeable but not sloppy and not too prominant
warm and clear mids and detailed clear highs
will the super-fi's give me the detailed highs im looking for tho?
thanks
fergie

EDIT: the problem i have with my senn CX300's is that the highs arent prominant enough for me, i just dont feel the highs are detailed enough, the bass and mids are perfect tho, punchy bass

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 27
The E4s are a more balance pair of IEMS compared with ER4p and UE 5 pros. If you want decent mids and highs without compromising for quantity of bass, then I would recommend the E4s. The ER4P is very very accurate and sharp. The bass in the ER4p is very punchy and tight but quantity of bass is less than the E4s. While the mids of the shure E4s isn't as accurate as the ER4P, i find that the mids of the E4s are more upfront in sounding.

EDIT: I don't recommend the UE 5pros if you want detail mids and highs as the UE 5Pros focuses on quantity of bass. The bass is punchy but not tight or accurate. The mids and highs are a bit muddy and there's roll offs in the highs.

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 27
I hate when people say the ER4P's lack bass. They don't. They have a really nice sounding bass and it actually sounds very full. That's if you get a good seal. You can actually feel the drums beating on most songs.

I think if you can stretch the budget I'd go with the ER4P. If not the ER6i is nice.

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 27
oooo i dont know what to get now
i think ive narrowed it down to three choices
Shure E4C/E3C or Etymotic ER6i/ER4P
hmmmmmmmm
ill think bout this one long and hard
what are yhour personal recommendations/opinions/cons and pros?
thanks
fergie

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 27
Difficult call - if only it were easy to "trial" them?! ie wear them for a while and actually try the "fit" as well as the sound? That's one reason I at least try to see and feel if poss in a shop situation. At the end of the day I'm sure you'll end up fairly happy whichever?! ( I personally would go Etys - though no much in it!)

PS On big problem is this forum - there'll always be a "better" phone just round the corner!
PPS Shure are updating range soon. Maybe some bargains on older models?

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 27
I've got the E4s and I love 'm.
Effordless smooth yet detailed, I can listen to it for hours, without fatigue or boredom.
Do not buy the E3s; had them for 2 years, okay, but the price premium for the E4s is absolutely worth it IMO.

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by exX08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate when people say the ER4P's lack bass. They don't. They have a really nice sounding bass and it actually sounds very full. That's if you get a good seal. You can actually feel the drums beating on most songs.

I want to point out I was very careful in the language I used. But you have to admit when people get Ety's then whine about no bass and change them for something else, you understand the rep. I make no such presumptions - I've never heard them, but for me the reason they were never on the radar is that my ears are sensitive to highs and from reading around... there I go being a hypocrite!

BTW fergie232, that E4C price I gave you won't stay around forever, not that I want to pressure you. You won't likely find the E4 so cheap, unless you get an amazing Ebay auction win. UK is a bit rubbish for IEMs. By that I mean no stores to trial them.

Re UE super.fi 5 Pro's. I changed them for the E4s. Why? Nothing wrong with them SQ wise. Nice punchy bass, and honestly the bass of the Pro's married with the mid's and high's of the E4 would be a pretty decent, perfect mid-high level IEM. I got rid of the UE's because I didn't like how they stuck out of my ear. That's it. Search for pics. Maybe you won't care, as many don't

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #14 of 27
idk if neone noticed this for the ety 6r-i's, or if it was an embarrassing topic...but the white silicon tri-flanges color easily. Neone experience this with their ety's?

>_<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back