What IEM's or headphones for everyday use? (Bus etc)
Jun 18, 2009 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JereHakala

New Head-Fier
So yeah, I was thinking about Etymotic Research HF2 Black for 109€ or Sennheiser IE-6 for 119€.. There's also Shure SCL2-CL but I dunno about them..

I was also looking for some Grado's but they're open headphones so :E..

Multitronic Webshop

There's some earphones/headphones but I dunno, I have like 130€, and I need something I can use at bus etc, I wanted Grado SR60's but...

E: I dunno about the Etymotics anymore, if you need replace filters and.. hmm..

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 15
right, well given then id say you have no idea what you want given the hf5 and IE6 are going to be at opposite ends of the sound sig spectrum. since im going to guess your in finland (you dont say where you are) how about these

Klipsch Custom 2 Noise-Isolation Earphones £57.99 - Free Delivery

Sennheiser CX95 Style Noise Isolating Earphones £49.99 - Free Delivery

of those two i think the custom 2s sound easily the better but they dont have the worlds best cable and relly would need put back in thier little box when ur not wearing them but they isolation and comfort with some olives is fantastic.

the cx95 i couldn't live with the treble but others have a lot of love for them for the money.

there is also a buch of things from the far east that get alot of love for not v much money like the soundmagic pl30 and the RE-2, nuforce ne7 gets lots of love too

of them id still go for the custom 2's

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 15
I wore my Grados on a family trip across the country. Strike that. I alternated my Grados on a family trip across the country. I brought along my GS-1000s and my RS-1s. In both cases, that wonderful Grado sound was destroyed by the rumbling din of the high-speed drive. It was that experience that forced me to break down and buy an IEM. But I couldn't decide which, as so much of the reviews come off as, "I own this pair and like them so they must be better than the other pairs I didn't buy."

Unable to hear an IEM through the reviews, I bought the ones I heard the best buzz about, intent on writing a review and then selling off all but the sole survivor. I bought the Etymotics Er4p, the Shure SE530, the UE Triple Fi 10 Pro and two Westone products: the W3 and the UM3X. About the time I was ready to pack it up, people started buzzing about the Phonak Audeo PFE, so I bought that one and gave it a listen.

Hands down, my favorite was the UM3X, which had the best of both worlds: great bass and amazing balance. I'm not a basshead. Most of my music is more chord and vocal oriented, but I like a full presentation. The W3 is too bassy for my tastes but the UM3X is awesome. Another good choice, thought not as engaging to me, is the SE530. I also think the Triple Fi is getting short shrift because of the recent release of the UE2, the latter being a custom fit but with the drivers off an SuperFi 5. I can't comment on the glories of the custom fit, but the Triple Fi is a very nice IEM, though its ergonomics are inferior to that of the Westones and the SE530.

I never connected well with the Er4p, which forced me to jam its tips so far up my ear I thought they were going to come out the other side - and was still light on bass. They are, however, very clear in their presentation. A better choice, in my opinion, is the PFE, a single-armature Swiss IEM that oozes sonic clarity for only $139. I haven't heard the Westone UM1, so I don't know which of these is the better, but the PFE is so good, it has caused people to lose their minds and compare it to the big boys at the top.

The PFE has better bass than the Er4p, though not nearly as good as its upper-tier competition. When I ran it through my M^3, the bass came out strong (which means that it's probably an impedence issue in working with unamped iPods and the like).

If you've got the coin, I suggest the UM3X. If you're looking for a bargain, I suggest the PFE.

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 15
Hmm, thanks for the suggestion but none of those headphones mentioned above are sold in Finland, except the Senneheiser, but the store selling them doesn't have any idea when there would be any in stock, and I can't order anywhere else :/

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 15
oh and the soundmagics, RE-2 are available from head direct which will ship anywhere in the world and the nuforce ne7 are last i looked available from sellers on ebay that will ship anywhere too (but up to you if you want to trust ebay)

however all the others have given people on here no trouble, if stuffs coming from china its no more difficult to post to finland than it is the uk or us

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 15
Then try out the Senn IE6/7/8, IE8 is a great all rounder that's a tad shy on treble amount
and terrible on isolation, but treble will improve with burn-in and tip (currently listening to
a configuration that OPEN up the headstage with a treble that's a lot better, at the expense
of bass (decimated, totally) and imaging (a weird feeling since you feel the sound is open
yet still hear some indication of studio recording, ie reverberation from the wall, got to listen
for yourself)), and this is on max bass dial. Isolation can only be improved with custom
tips, but that hurt the soundstage somewhat. The build of these things, however, are
superb, especially the cable, you don't have to pamper them at all, just don't step on
the housing or anything.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm that link behaves strangely, shows everything for a second then everything vanishes

that site does not work well via google translate

Well under the Haku and Hakusana in left you write something you want to search, shouldn't be hard
redface.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #13 of 15
hmm well seeing as that site looks more like a comparison site it mean im not sure what shops u can buy from but the CX6 which is just a closed version of the IE6 might be suitable or indeed the IE6. or i also say the IE7 for reasonable price but dont know if u can get or for something more isolating the philips she9850, which was there for a rather reasonable price

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JereHakala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couldn't choose so I bought both.

Yup, that's how it starts. I couldn't decide, so I got SR60s, HD580s, and Ety ER4P/S.....and then I discovered head-fi
eek.gif

Welcome and enjoy your new headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back