What IEM for motorcycle?
Apr 4, 2009 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

warnsey

100+ Head-Fier
G'day,

Just wondering whether anyone has any recommendations for motorcycle IEM. I am considering the Live wires (or whatever their called now fidelity custom something....). Obviously I need something that blocks out quite a bit of noise and that doesn't protrude out the ears to much.

Any recommendations

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 15
ER6is would be great for that. Customs would be even better.
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 15
Of course, at the end of the day, it's your choice, but it may be dangerous not only for yourself, but you maybe putting other people's lives at risk as well, I believe. Are you legally allowed to do so in Australia? I doubt it.

Apr 4, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER6is would be great for that. Customs would be even better.
wink.gif

I've tried ER6's and the aren't good at all. They stick out way too much!

If you have the money, get a pair of customs like the UE-10/11's. They don't stick out any further than your ear. If not, then the Shure E500 series.

...and to those who worry about IEM's on a bike, just make sure that they are played at a low enough level to enjoy the music and dampen approx. 28 - 32 dBs of external noise, but you can still everything around you. You are actually protecting your ears.
Wind noise for 2 hours on a bike on the highway can cause ringing for days!

Apr 4, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 15
I wouldn't use IEM when engaging in an activity like biking or driving. You'll be putting your life and others in danger.

I suggest for biking you get some sport or traditional earbuds (PK1?) or even better, just concentrate on the road.

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest for biking you get some sport or traditional earbuds (PK1?) or even better, just concentrate on the road.

You may not realize how much wind noise is experienced on a motorcycle while riding at highway speeds. It is very destructive to hearing and I have custom molded earplugs for this very purpose. To hear traditional ear buds in this environment the volume would need to be turned up very loudly. When coupled with the wind noise, well...

Apr 5, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 15
I have been riding motorbikes for about 45 years and am still alive. It is correct that wind noise at high speeds can be very damaging to hearing. This can be reduced by wearing a helmet, a cap, or well designed earplugs. Personally, I would not want to do anything that distracts or isolates me from the riding environment. One benefit the biker has is that he can hear vehicles in his blind spots. This advantage would be negated by earphones. The careful rider must also be focused at all times on potential hazards around him and not be distracted by unnecessary auditory input.
This is solely my opinion. Riding a motorcycle is a very dangerous activity. A minor mishap that would mean time in the bodyshop for a "cager" might be time in the hospital or morgue for a biker. Good luck.
Lecture complete.

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been riding motorbikes for about 45 years and am still alive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been riding for 33 years...

tongue_smile.gif
tongue.gif
smile.gif

th_Bycicling_Cartoon_racer_prv.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
played at a low enough level to enjoy the music and dampen approx. 28 - 32 dBs of external noise, but you can still everything around you.

Location: "I can't hear you...I have my headphones on" Long Island, NY

I can hardly hear anything at -28 dB!
If you can honestly say you are as safe or safer riding a motorbike while wearing earphones I hope no one suffers from your advice.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been riding motorbikes for about 45 years and am still alive. It is correct that wind noise at high speeds can be very damaging to hearing. This can be reduced by wearing a helmet, a cap, or well designed earplugs. Personally, I would not want to do anything that distracts or isolates me from the riding environment. One benefit the biker has is that he can hear vehicles in his blind spots. This advantage would be negated by earphones. The careful rider must also be focused at all times on potential hazards around him and not be distracted by unnecessary auditory input.
This is solely my opinion. Riding a motorcycle is a very dangerous activity. A minor mishap that would mean time in the bodyshop for a "cager" might be time in the hospital or morgue for a biker. Good luck.
Lecture complete.

Great Lecture!

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #14 of 15
Most IEM and isolating headphones have some kind of warning on the packaging against wearing them in or on vehicles, even cars.

I spend a lot of time cycling, and after a couple of rides using my m-audio Q40s and nearly being taken out by a taxi, I realised how important it was to be able to hear traffic. I can only imagine how important that would be to a motorcyclist. It made a big difference for me just switching to open cans and keeping the volume down a little. I can imagine that earbuds would be a viable alternative if you're wearing a helmet.

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #15 of 15
Laws are different everywhere, I know here in Ontario there are no laws against wearing earplugs or earphones, but it's a personal decision that can be risky.

For the OP, Westone's will probably work, but the comply tips might isolate a bit too much noise. They'll fit snug in your ear without anything sticking out. Works well with a helmet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back