What IEM brand has rubber tips that sound good and actually seal well?
Mar 8, 2006 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

RichardCory

100+ Head-Fier
I tried out the UE Super.Fi 5 Pro, and the rubber tips refused to seal in my ears. I could only get a good sound with the foam tips, but those hurt my ears after a while.

So, between Etymotics, Westone, and Shure, which company makes the best rubber (or silicon, or whatever they are) tips? I don't care if they're double or triple-flanged, just as long as they have the comfort of my Sony EX51 earbuds, but with obviously better sound quality, equivalent or less microphonics, and the best isolation possible. Thanks.

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 4
If you like the shape of the Super.fi rubber tips, then the Shures might work for you. It's a similar material (a bit more flexible, perhaps), but inserts more deeply. With the Shures, you can also try the clear flex sleeves, which are stiff and might also seal well for you.

Etymotic rubber triflange tips are very different, because they're inserted even more deeply (unless you use a bi-flange), but they're certainly secure in the ear. Just remember to use Otoease or a similar ear lubricant to make them comfortable. You can also use the Shure soft sleeves on Etymotics, which really makes them like the Sonys. You lose isolation, but gain in comfort.

I have and regularly use all three (Etys, UEs, Shures), and find them all comfortable - I alternate phones and tips depending on what I'm listening to, how much isolation I want, and how quickly I may need to remove the phones to attend to other matters. Then again, I've been sleeping with ear plugs most of my life, so I'm used to the adjustments and sensations.

If all else fails, custom molds might be the way to go.

Hope this helps.

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 4
Westone UM1 and UM2 (I have the UM2, but I believe tips are the same for both) come with comply tips, not rubber ones. However, you can use Etymotic/Shure rubber tips on them. I've tried using triflange, biflange, and Shure soft and clear flex with them. As usual, comfort will vary from one person to the next; in the end, I just use the soft comply tips, since I normally keep the Westones for long airplane trips, and I find the rubber tips uncomfortable with this model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back